Domain Password not reset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Password not reset

I followed the instructions to the letter, but it's not working for me.

My situation is even more difficult do to the fact that the domain administrator account is disabled aside from not knowing the password.

I tried specifying one of the other accounts in Domain Admins, but no go.

Is there a timing issue perhaps where the server is not fully up when the service starts, or is it possibly limited somehow to changing the administrator password via the SYSTEM privileges?

Re: Domain Password not reset

What instructions? There are several sets
    Can you tell us a bit more about your environment -- type of domain etc?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, I thought this group was dedicated to the particular procedure.

First I reset the local administrator password, which worked. Then I followed this:

http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm

The environment is Windows 2003, a mix of standard and enterprise x64 and x86. Their are two w2k3 x86 DC's one of which is a Vmware VM, this is the one I'm working from. I could not get the physical server to recover the local admin password due to disk issues.

Comment

Thats OK, but now we have many, many procedures

Just checking, you have no other working domain admin accounts?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There are a few other administrative accounts, but we don't know their passwords. Trying this procedure to reset them did not work.

Comment

Afaik with local admin on a domain controller u can do all any domain admin can do, so create either a new domain admin account or reset someone's password from the domain admins group...

Sounds easy huh?
            Let me know if it works.
            Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

As ususal, I am confused. What are you trying to reset the password on?

If you are trying to reset the Administrator password on a Windows Server 2003, then I have found http://www.petri.com/forgot_administ...password.htm#1 (Petter Nordahl-Hagen) option to work for me each time I have been forced to use it. From memory it also has an option to enable a User Account to Administrator level. Also found it best to blank the password though I have never had to use it in a Domain where Complex Passwords had been enforced.

I would suggest attacking the other Administrator accounts with the unknown passwords. Where are you trying to reset the passwords from? A physical machine or Virtual Machines? I have never tried resetting from a VM before as I have often found server specific utilities/tools to not work on VMs. The VM experts may be able to educate me to the wise on this matter though.

For future reference, please give more details when posting a question about your problem so specific answers can be posted back without having a question and answer to and fro competition.

Just a comment on Silver's post, on a DC there is no Local Administrator or perhaps more clearly, the Domain Administrator on a DC is the Local Admin. Actually, that may not be as clear as when I constructed it in my head. Sorry. Local Admin however is available on a Member Server.

Sun is over the Yardarm somewhere in the world so it is time for tea.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm trying to reset the password for a domain level administrative account. The administrator account has been disabled. I've been able to successfully start a DC in AD restore mode and reset the local administrator account, then follow these instructions to reset the domain level account: http://www.petri.co.il/reset_domain_...er_2003_ad.htm, but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried it on both of the other two domain admin accounts.

As for it being a VM, it really shouldn't matter. I can boot off cd and access the console just as though I were in front of a physical server. And it's really the only option I've got at this point.

Comment

I dont see the problem, if your local administrator account is disabld boot in safe mode and enable it. (it works)

Also next you can login with your Local Administrator and do DOMAIN tasks, like resetting passwords or enabling user accounts, create new domain admins..

To come back at biggles, yes there is a difference between these accounts, but not in rights.. But there will be though, look at Server 2008.

If you cannot seem to get it right, tell us exactly what you are doing.

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

The problem is not with the local administrator account, it is with the domain administrator account and any other account in the domain or enterprise admin groups.

If it is a Domain Controller, how do you enable the local administrator so you can boot normally and still have access to the account? The only way I'm aware of to log in as local administrator on a DC is to boot into AD recovery mode or safe mode. Either way you don't have access to AD and cannot manipulate the AD accounts.

Comment

As I mentioned above, on a DC there is NO local Administrator account. If it had a local Administrator account then the Server would be a Member Server.

I have has success with Petter Nordahl-Hagen's method in blanking the Administrator password.

Now that you have the Domain Admin account enabled, try the method you first used. http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Try ERD commander, it will do the exact steps with services as described in Petri's tutorial. It adds a service and will reset your Domain password.

But it is much easier to use

Comment

Working...
                        X