No announcement yet.

inherited win2kserver pc - can't login, can't boot CDROM

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inherited win2kserver pc - can't login, can't boot CDROM

I recently acquired a computer from my brother's company. I do not know the administrator or user passwords. My brother died last fall, and his company no longer exists, so there is no one to ask for the passwords.

The computer has Win2k Server installed. I checked the BIOS and it is setup to boot from CDROM first, then the HD.

I burned a copy of the Offline Windows NT Password & Registry editor. First I used NERO 5.5 and burned the ISO file and the PC would not boot that. Then I burned an image which has the extension .nrg or something like that (I don't have that CD open right now). The PC would not boot the image either.
    Any suggestions for how to get this PC to boot from a CDROM? Am I doing something wrong in NERO?

As a last resort, I could reformat the HD and install my copy of WinME, even though it is a horrible OS, but I still have no idea how to go about doing this without being able to us a bootable floppy.

Can you read a normal CD when you insert it into the CD ROM drive?
    Does it show up in My Computer?
    Is it working correctly in Device Manager?
    Trying to find out if the CD ROM drive is in fact working.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

I think the problem was with the earlier version of Nero that I have on my PC - I read online that there were problems with creating a non-emulation image cd with older versions of Nero. I believe this is corrected in Nero 6.

I ended up going out and buying WinXP, and was able to boot from that disk and reformat without problems. That other PC is part of our home office and I couldn't afford to have it down for the amount of time it would have taken for me to solve this problem.