No announcement yet.

Vista Home Password Recovery

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Home Password Recovery

I tried Petter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor but failed. On an Aspire laptop with Vista Home Basic it finds partitions

/disk/sda1 12GB type 27 unknown (manufacturer reload Vista?)
    /disk/sda2 33GB type 6 FAT16 bootable
    /disk/sda3 32GB type 7 HPFS/NTFS

I don't know if the MBR actually says /sda2 is type 6, which is FAT16. It really is bootable and 33GB, which makes me doubt it's FAT16, but of course if I try to select it I get

Selected 1

Mounting from /dev/sda2, with assumed filesystem type FAT/VFAT/FAT32 and similar

Trying to mount FAT / VFAT / FAT32 etc

mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /disk failed: Invalid argument
    ERROR: Mount failed! Try select again or another?

Selecting /sda3, which it thinks is NTFS, of course gets a successful mount, but that's not where the registry and the sam are.

Can I override something and tell it to mount /sda2 as ntfs? Dare I try an MBR editor and change the partition type?

The local Administrator account is disabled and the evil former owner of the machine won't tell us the password of the only user account. I could re-install Vista, but we'd like to keep the disk intact for evidence of her criminal activity.

Re: Vista Administrator's password?

If you believe the disk contains evidence of criminal activity, you should turn the machine over to police immediately - you should certainly not try to modify the disk in any way.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Vista Home Password Recovery

I'm stuck with exactly the same problem.
      Could it be an Acer Aspire issue ?
      Did you work it out ?

please advise (without going to the police, please, don't reply if that's your final answer)

(sort of)
        If you think there is criminal intent, do NOT try hacking the password as you will be tampering with the evidence and might get accused yourself of changing things.
        Better to get some forensic software (or better still a forensic expert) to image the computer and make a certified, untampered with, copy of the data that can then be examined properly
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Image the HDD and then work on the image. This way you won't screw up with any date stamps etc or better still, take it to

Originally posted by Ossian
          a forensic expert
          Departed: 23rd December 2015