Can't mount /dev/sda1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't mount /dev/sda1

The short of it is that my wife's computer picked up a virus, canhook more than likely, then it downloaded something that set passwords on the admin and her account and it's now locked out. I was hoping that disabling the passwords would get me back in so I could clean the virus out. The problem is is that the CD won't mount the HDD. It gives me unsupported volume flags 0x4000 encourntered. I've rebooted it to the login screeen in safe mode and regular mode at least 10 times now and can't get past this error.
    Any other hints?

Re: Can't mount /dev/sda1

Maybe if you told us what hard drive controller chip you have. And what CD you're using to boot from. With the details you've given, all we can tell you to do is Google the error message. Speaking of which, have you done that?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm using the
      Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (v080526 - May 200

not sure of the chipset or even how to find out since I can't much of anything. I did boot my live CD of Knoppix and it mounts and writes. If it helps it looks like a SATA drive in an older Dell XPS.

Comment

And have you looked up the error message?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It just says to start the computer in safe mode twice and it should fix the problem. That's the only thing they have on the website, and google gives me a whole bunch of information that isn't all that useful. I'd probably have to rewrite the utility to make it work. Thanks for the help, I'm getting a little peeved at the moment.

Comment

Working...
          X