Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reset local admin pass with computer toughening

hi,

I read all the articles and I Google it so much.
    the Issue is- The computer is toughening. (can't use DOK. CD nothing!!!)
    can't reset or change the password with the toughening.
    and can't domain the computer without local admin.

what can I do except formating the HD

10x
    Lolo

Re: reset local admin pass with computer toughening

I'm sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you are asking for. Can you confirm this is correct:
    1) The computer is in a workgroup and you want to join a domain
    2) You do not have a local admin password
    3) There are security policies which stop you booting from CD (although this is normally a BIOS issue)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I'm sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you are asking for. Can you confirm this is correct:
      1) The computer is in a workgroup and you want to join a domain
      2) You do not have a local admin password
      3) There are security policies which stop you booting from CD (although this is normally a BIOS issue)

no.
      1. no. the computer new and it's the first time i connect it to the net (physical)
      2. i don't have the local admin password
      3. the security policies is i can't use the usb. i don't have cd (physical) in the computer. don't have floppy. also if i want to connect a mobile cd i can't.
      so that's why i can't use the password recovery tools...

and I don't want to format...

Comment

If it's a new computer and isn't a domain member, then yes, it *is* in a workgroup.

In any case, if it's a new machine, how come you don't have the administrator password? If it's an OEM install, the password may be in the documentation that came with the machine. If you installed Windows yourself, then you would have specified the password during setup.

In any case, to do what you want to do, you either need to be able to boot from a CD, or to reinstall Windows.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If it is new, try either a blank password for the admin account or either "password" or "administrator"
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            If it's a new computer and isn't a domain member, then yes, it *is* in a workgroup.

In any case, if it's a new machine, how come you don't have the administrator password? If it's an OEM install, the password may be in the documentation that came with the machine. If you installed Windows yourself, then you would have specified the password during setup.

In any case, to do what you want to do, you either need to be able to boot from a CD, or to reinstall Windows.

hi
            it's not so easy to explain. the structure of the network a little bit complicated.
            actually the computer was connected to the domain in the past and now I need to reconnect to the domain - secondly.
            the local admin password - which I took up from a network tool (by computer name) isn't match - the computer was too much time out of the domain.

I thought maybe there is another solution than install new windows. and I see that it's not possible.

thank you.

Comment

So is it a new computer which has never been a domain member
              Or is it an old computer which is still a domain member
              Or is it an old computer which was a domain member and has been removed from the domain in the past

It can't be all three
              If you can log on, go to My Computer--Properties and see what the computer name tab says
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                So is it a new computer which has never been a domain member
                Or is it an old computer which is still a domain member
                Or is it an old computer which was a domain member and has been removed from the domain in the past

It can't be all three
                If you can log on, go to My Computer--Properties and see what the computer name tab says

it an old computer which was a domain member and has been removed from the domain in the past
                - the right answer.

i'm sorry about the mess.
                i can't log on to the computer at all

Comment

IMHO either:
                  format and reinstall Windows
                  or:
                  Pull the hard drive, recover any vital data, then format and reinstall windows
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

thank you all...

that what i will probally do - just I don't have the drivers and the Image disk.
                    but I will mange!

what is it: " IMHO " ?

p.s. I am not a MCSE or MCSA or network manger ...
                    I just have a problem in my Little Organization and we don't have system people - a big big problem!

Have a great Day

Comment

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

Drivers would be downloaded from the internet - no point using out of date drivers. As for a recovery CD, I always reinstall new machines from a vanilla Windows CD to avoid the machine being loaded with all of the bloatware the vendor provides. I mean, how many broadband installers is it necessary to have?

My current record is 7 on one machine. Thanks HP
                      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I always thought IMHO was In My Humble Opinion
                        (Hence IMNSHO -- Not So)
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Good point... I'm an IT admin, so very rarely feel humble
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                            Good point... I'm an IT admin, so very rarely feel humble
                            Oh DILLIGAF!
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              DILLIGAF
                              Ay? Not for me thanks, trying to cut back
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X