Handed down computer with password protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handed down computer with password protection

Hi. I am inquiring as to how I would remove a password protected screen if I can't even get passed the password screen?

I received an old computer from work that had been networked. And upon turning it on, you have to have a user id and password. My password and user id do not work here at home and I just want to clean it out and give it to my sister for home use. It is a window 2000 professional.

I cannot get to the start button even.

I want to get rid of the password protection entirely.

Please help.

Carolee

Re: Handed down computer with password protection

Hi, have a look here.

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administ...password.htm#1

There is a floppy disk and cd version.

Do you know if the computer has a floppy drive or cd rom???
    Last edited by uk_network; 25th October 2008, 20:39.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Re: Handed down computer with password protection

If it came from work, check that there is a licence sticker for Windows 2000 on the side of the case. It's likely that your company has a volume licence - if this is the case and you do not have a licence sticker for Windows 2000 on the case then you cannot legally use that software and would have to purchase a licence.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
      X