No announcement yet.

Having alot of trouble changing local users passwords

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having alot of trouble changing local users passwords

Here is the deal, I have a laptop that was a member of a domain. The previous user deleted the account named administrator and created a new account for administrative purposes. I wasn't aware of this so I needed to dis-join the machine from the domain and now I can not log onto the machine because the account that I assumed was there is no longer there and the user does not know the password for the new account.

I have tried the " change NT password " utility ( I have used this in the past and it works great ) but it did not work this time. I can see the user accounts listed and it will let me change the password using this utility, but when I try to log on it says the password is incorrect. So now I am stuck with a machine that is fully functional providing I could log into it. I would love to be able to boot to a utility that would allow me to add a new user account so that I could at least login to the OS. I don't know if this is possible but any ideas would be great right about now. I really don't care about the current user accounts because I could just set up new accounts when I login.

Well then why not just delete the SAM file from system32\config? Use ERD Commander or any other booting disk/CD that can allow you to access the NTFS partition, and delete (or better, rename) the file.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services