Screwed up good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwed up good

Let's start off by saying I'm a newbie...yeah, I probably shouldn't have touched anything!

I've been on the job for 7 days. I have no one here to assist me with the job, because the person I replaced is on maternity leave and isn't available to help. So I'm flying by the seat of my pants, and have screwed up good.

I was going through and disabling inactive accounts yesterday, and without realizing what I was doing (yes, I'm a moron) I disabled the account of the guy who's log on they use to work on the server (Active Directory etc.)

I came in this morning to give myself full access so that I can make changes to people's network drives from my own machine, and found that when I tried to invoke ADUC I got a message that said logon failed...after researching and freaking out I realized that it was this guy's account that was used to access AD. You would think that using the 'run as' would solve the problem by using the Adminstrator password...well, it doesn't recognize any of the passwords that I've been given.

So what I want to do is change the Administrator password (without restarting the machine). It's on an AS400 server. Is there some way of doing this? I'm at a complete loss. I read about your tool, but as I said, I'd prefer not to restart the machine. The drive is nearly full, so I cannot install Win2k on another partition...

Oh please help.

Well then, how about trying some brute force attack on the password? Do you have some info on how many characters it is made of?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ahhhh

I appreciate your reply...At the time I had absolutely no idea how many characters the password could have been made of. But now....

After much digging, scratching, clawing, and other fancy stuff, we found an account that had admin rights and re-enabled the account in question.

I have since given the manager admin rights and let her know, and changed the admin password and given it to the manager...this shouldn't happen again.

The good part about this whole issue is that I have created documentation and told the people in charge where to look should something go horribly wrong again.

Thanks again for replying...I'm sure I'll be back.

Comment

Great to hear you've managed. We'll love to see you come back.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X