NT server 4.0 Administrator password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT server 4.0 Administrator password

Sorry guys i hope i did post in the right site.

Anyway erm i'm in need of help getting the Administrator password for Microsoft NT server 4.0

Reason : Well the usual , the IT guy ran away after having a tiff & quarrel with another colleage of mine and now i(who is kinda of newbie to IT) is forced to do the job of that guys role due to some knowledge of IT that's all.

I've been asking around most of the people. Is it true that we have to redo up the whole server rather than finding some software which can retreive password. Cuz i've tried like OPHCRACK Live CD but it don't seem to work.

Someone pls give me some advice on what to and where to start . Thx

Re: NT server 4.0 Administrator password

Well,
    start here? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=2438
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi Dumber,

Well thx for the info. i deeply appreciate your kindness.

But i've read through those articles and it don't seem to have any connected with NT server 4.0. I've tried some and it didn't help.

Is NT server 4.0 very old alreadly? I've checked related post by people as well but doesn't tell much as well. I'm sorry if i've posted at the wrong site. But i can't think of where to post and ask for guidance as i find most of the list inapproiate.

My case : Well basically i won't have the guts to redo the whole server as i have no experience with it at all. Therefore the only way out i could think of is retreiving the administrator password back.

Comment

Yes NT4 is very old. It's going back somewhere in 1996
        oh, this one will work
        http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thx ya dumber

I've viewed through this page before and i didn't dare use it .

Reason: i've read about another article in this forum's and they were debating about deleting the SAM file thingy.

I've been figuring out is it by deleting the SAM file means clearing the password. And to add on is it true that after deleting the SAM file you will loose all your user ... etc??

Quote of the day
          Forget the past , live the present & Create the future

Comment

Make an image of the HDD, use Ghost, Acronis or another imaging software. Put the imaged HDD into the computer (remove the original first) and then use the tool Dumber has pointed you to. If it screws everything then you still have the original. If it works then you can either swap the drives back and run the process on the original or you can leave the imaged HDD in the machine and login.

Make sure you read the documentation before running the program. While I haven't used it on NT, I have used it on Win 2000 Server, XP Pro and Win Server 2003 without any problems. (I think you will find that it doesn't delete the SAM. That was an alternative method to getting rid of the password.)

Make an image and then try the program. If you have any questions post back here. If you are still unsure then provide us with more info about the setup of your NT machine. Is it a Member Server, PDC, BDC etc etc. How critical is the machine? How many uses (if half a dozen then the accounts can easily be recreated), how much data.

Once you have control of the machine again, you really need to talk to management about upgrading to a newer operating system. If you have proprietry/legacy software that will only run on this software then Virtualisation could be an answer to it running on a new O/S.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank's all for giving me advice.

I'll let you guys know once i've tried it and if need any assistance or help i'll approach you guys . Thx alot.

By the way the windows microsoft NT server 4.0 is for external storage. Do i have to upgrade it? To which software is better to upgrade to any suggestion?

Forget the past , live the present & Create the future

Comment

Originally posted by Biggles77
                By the way the windows microsoft NT server 4.0 is for external storage.
                I think you will need to elaborate more on the above quote and expand on what sort of storage. If it is User files then I would look at Windows Server 2003 R2 (or 2008 if you were getting a new machine) since they have some nifty features to keep unwanted files from being saved to home drives/folders.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Oops !

Sorry about that . What i meant wats that the Windows NT server is meant for internal storage.

Hum regarding what kind of storage is it for i'm not sure as well. Cuz i've never seen what is hidden behind that password wall of it and actually went in to see what is it use to store

Anyway thx. By the way , the external server is running on windows 2003 server is that good enough? And i soon would face a problem with the external as well i guess. Cuz till now i don't dare to touch the external server as well. it seems more complicated .

Comment

Sorry guys it's me again. This time i've got 2 question to ask

1. Well now i've break into the server which i have problem with . But there's 1 question which i would like to ask . Let's say for the external server , the IT guy has a remote desktop on it , will he be able to access it even though i changed the password.

2. The router password and IP address , he is holding on the them, will he be able to break in to the network with the router password and IP address from anywhere??

Confused.. . . now though cuz i just though of it even if i've changed the password but still the router password he's holding. Any suggestion??

Comment

Can you access the router? If yes, then change the password. If no then it may be time to get a professional in to sort out the password problems. If he has gone to the trouble of keeping the passwords then he possibly has a backdoor account that he can use to access the server.

What is the make and nodel of the router?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also, TAKE LEGAL ACTION. If he is holding something from you, this is wrong.

Take account of ALL accounts, and make sure you know who uses each one and why. Reset all of the passwords.
                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Guys sorry it's me again.

Well i seem to be encountering some problem now. Now only did i realise that in both server, there are 2 hard disk in it. But strangly i was only able to clone 1 of each in both server. I can't access or even see the other in the BIOS setting nor can in scan in the Norton Ghost software .

Have anybody encountered this before?? How do i go about looking at what is inside of the other hard disk? Or even go about cloning the other hard disk?

Comment

It's most likely a RAID volume. Hopefully RAID 1 rather than RAID 0. If this is the case, then you will only see one hard drive.

What are the capacities shown on the hard drive labels, and what is the capacity of the drive you can see? If the capacity you can see is equal to the capacity of the smaller of the two drives, then it is a RAID 1 set. If the capacity you can see is the capacity of both drives added together, then it is RAID 0. But, check documentation etc to see the RAID controller settings rather than making assumptions.
                            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thx gforceindustries,

Thx for the advice on this. After you told me about this RAID i did some research and found this web-link which describe what is RAID http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html
                              Hopefully this is what you meant.

Sorry to disappoint you but i don't really know how to go about this RAID. As in ,does it mean that what's in <HD1 = HD2>. If it's so, do i have to do any back up for it like cloning or something before i experiment on it? or how do i go about doing the backup for it?

Regards
                              Nicholas
                              Last edited by Nicholas; 31st October 2008, 08:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X