CAN'T LOGON

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN'T LOGON

I AM USING W2K SP4. I DISABLED GUEST AND CREATED ANOTHER ADMIN ACCOUNT WITH NEW USER NAME AND PASSWORD. I THEN DISABLED DEFAULT ADMIN ACCOUNT. NOW MY PC DOES NOT ACCEPT NEW USER NAME AND PASSWORD. CAN'T GET IN. HOWEVER I ALSO HAVE ANOTHER GOOD W2K INSTALLATION ON THE SAME HARD DRIVE THAT I CAN ACCESS. IS THERE SOME WAY I CAN CHANGE BACK TO PREVIOUS FROM OTHER INSTALLATION?

Some tools such as ERD Commander will let you enable or disable user accounts. You can try them. As a last resort you can always erase the SAM file from the \system32\config folder of the old system and reboot. If it's not a DC it will fix the problem, and you can log on as administrator with no password. However beware, you'll erase all local users and if you had encrypted files on your disk you might not be able to access them anymore.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

SUCCESS!

I downloaded one of the free programs--I think UNIX--and created a boot disk. Booted with it (it ask for path to SAM), and it displayed the user names, although no passwords. However it disclosed one user name I didn't recall and was able to plug in the winning password. Took some time but well worth it--what a relief it is. Thanks.

Comment

You're welcome. What tool did you use? Maybe others will benefit from it too.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I'm the only administrator for my pc and I totally forgot my password. I'm currently using the guest account and the other two accounts are limited and also have passwords. Is there anything i can do, please help me!

Comment

How about this:

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X