Domain to Workgroup, Stuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain to Workgroup, Stuck

First post here, i went through your forum and found a topic on this, however i got a more specific question about the subject.

Background:

My friend was on a Domain Network in her previous office. The company closed and they sold the old pc, so she bought the one that she always used in her office. Now she opened a new office with her husband and was using the computer (the server is no longer with them).

Just yesterday i was working on it and realized the login screen still asked for the Domain User and Password, and had the drop down for "This Computer", she was not using this option, just the Domain one, her account loaded perfectly with no problems.

Since the new computers in the office are in workgroup, i changed the setting to joined the wg, and of course now am locked out.

I saw some of the solutions, but am wondering if after 2 years of the last post there is new advice on the matter. Basically I just want to be able to get the files on that account and add copy them to a new account, or just reactivate access to that acocunt, the server/client functionality is not necessary as I mentioned the computer was not connected to a server the past month when they opened the new office. I have done this in the past (http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm) and wonder if I could add these to the solution (worst case i hope).

The computer is a dell optiplex 745 running XP Pro.

I tried Ophcrack and could only run text mode, for LM Administrator got password .......$ (tried inputing the 7 . , just the $, etc.

This is a very good customer, and right now I feel totally stupid. Thanks for your help and kind advice.

Re: Domain to Workgroup, Stuck

Have a look here for resetting the logon password:
    http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Profiles are stored in the registry. I would logon as administrator, create a new user, log on as them then log off (to create a profile), log on as administrator, copy the domain profile directory somewhere else (for backup purposes), add the new user with full control over everything in the domain one then:

Open regedit:
    HKLM,Software,Microsoft,Windows NT,CurrentVersion,ProfileList,
    Scan through the profiles (usually something like S-1-5-12 etc) until you se one that shows the image path as correct for the domain account. Copy the ProfileImagePath bit and then search around for the new user one you created. Paste the ProfileImagePath over the top then close regedit.

I think, from memory, that should work.

EDIT: Or, of course, if you just want to copy the files you should be able to do it with the Admin account once you have logged on!
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Have a look here for resetting the logon password:
      http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm
      Thanks for the link, I was getting familiar with it on the stickies on this forum topic. Any method that is best preferred by the community?

Profiles are stored in the registry. I would logon as administrator, create a new user, log on as them then log off (to create a profile), log on as administrator, copy the domain profile directory somewhere else (for backup purposes), add the new user with full control over everything in the domain one then:
      I am familiar with part of the procedure, creating the new user logging on and off. I will do that as soon as i regain access to admin. However the last line of the quote i dont understand very well ( i do apologize as my domain knowledge is limited). The new user i create assume is going to be on a Workgroup, should i join that user into the domain again by right clicking my computer going to properties and then to the tab to change the domain or workgroup? (when you mention domain one?)

Open regedit:
      HKLM,Software,Microsoft,Windows NT,CurrentVersion,ProfileList,
      Scan through the profiles (usually something like S-1-5-12 etc) until you se one that shows the image path as correct for the domain account. Copy the ProfileImagePath bit and then search around for the new user one you created. Paste the ProfileImagePath over the top then close regedit.
      For the sake of the knowledge and pardon the ignorance, what does this procedure due? Does it allow me to log back in to the Domain user i first mentioned?

I think, from memory, that should work.

EDIT: Or, of course, if you just want to copy the files you should be able to do it with the Admin account once you have logged on!
      I thank you again for your previous quick reply.

Comment

Update: i got a SATA usb enclosure and connected it to my mac and i saw the usernames. there was the user aceballos and aceballos.COMPANY (with the company name / domain name).

I saw that the user aceballos had all the files she had (music, docs, xls, email, etc) and the aceballos.COMPANY not much. I know the second one is for the domain.

How could i be able to activate this user again? Or copy the data to a new user with the same data, i know that the only thing left to do will be to reinstall the applications (Program Files - office, antivirus and such, act!, etc) correct me if am wrong.

Am avoiding the format the computer at all cost.

Also, am still tryng to reveal and or crack the admin password. Am copying from the sata to my backup ext hdd thru my mac. Just in case.

Any ideas guys are highly apretiated. Thanks a whole bunch.

Comment

I was able to log blank the admin password and am inside admin in the local machine, i browsed documents and settings and the user and files are still in there.

I tried changing from workgroup to the domain again and it wont take it (please remember the server doesnt exist anymore as the company closed. I wat to be able to recover the user and the settings, music, documents, photos, etc.

Comment

Without the DC for the AD you won't be able to put the machine back into domain mode. You can get the data from the local user profile for the domain user. Just look in Documents and settings and you should find it. Simply copy or move the data you need to the new user profile.

Comment

If i do this will i have the settings as before? http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm.

I have done it from Workgroup user, never from a domain user, but i think it might work.

In a nutshell copy the data to the external hdd, delete the user on the local machine. Create user, log on and off, copy data to new user, guala!.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Comment

Hi rodrigogar,
                Sorry for the delay, I guess we are different time zones!
                The process allows you to log on as a new user but have the desktop of another user.
                You will never be able to log back onto the domain as the server doesn't exist anymore like joe states. What it should allow you to do though is log on as the newly created user and see the desktop 'pretty much' as it was when you logged on as the user on the domain.
                You need to make sure that the profile (the directory sitting in DOcuments and Settings has been setup with Full Control for the new user though. i.e. properties of the folder, security and add in the new use with Full Control, make sure it inherits all of the way down too.
                The registry change forces the new user to use the old users profile path.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Andy, that was very informative, thank you for that. Due to the little time I had in my hands I had to go the way I have done it before, which was on the post previous to this one.

I think it would have been a lot easier to do what you said. But I will definately have it in mind for next situation like this. By doing all you said is the new user able to see the desktop, files paths, documents and everything the old user had? If thats the case I am totally hate myself, i stayed up until like 3 am EST working on the computer so i could return it today.

Comment

No worries.
                    As long as the account has full control over the entire profile path you can use the
                    I believe you lose things like the saved passwords etc (just like when you reset passwords) but the rest of the profile will be accessible as before.

You can test it if you want in the mean time, create 2 local test accounts and edit one of them, make the changes to permissions and registry and have a look.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X