No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 password

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 password

Greetings everyone,

I'm helping a friend get back into his system & want to know if there is a way to recover or change a user password in W2000 after it's slaved into an XP system? I'm able to see all the files and recover them but want to be able to log back in as a user.

This is a hard drive from a stand alone laptop and not a network login. I'm able to see the users in documents and settings but dont know about deleting or modifying them there. It's not necessary if I modify the administrators password just his logon. I believe this is his drive because I see a folder created with his initials etc. I just joined today and dont know if this is considered hacking or not but I know the response if this is considered hacking. I tried to scan and read as much info I could find here.

I also tried to do the loginrecovery floppy disk but i couldn't get it to read the passwords and therefore nothing was in upload.txt

Hopefully I'm in the right place of this forum to ask this question.

Thank You, Tinkerer

Re: Windows 2000 password

If your "friend" wants to save their data they could do so while the HDD is slaved to your machine. If they want to change the password, have they tried all the other methods listed here?
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: Windows 2000 password

Thank You for the reply Biggles77. After troubleshooting the loginrecovery I found I had to reformat the floppy disk and then create the disk and all worked fine for the upload. At fist look the link seemed overwhelming so I admit I bypassed it in favor of the faster method so I wouldnt have to spend much time on that(his) project. I shouldve known that when you go the long way sometimes it becomes a "better" experience. Will post my effort at it.