Local AND Domain password trouble with VM Servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local AND Domain password trouble with VM Servers

I have read all the articles and tried all the tricks and I am still unable to logon to my VMWare DC image!

Yesterday it worked fine and today it is broken, beat me what broke it but it did break the LOCAL and DOMAIN admin password.

I have several VM images all with the same username/pw combination and I was in the process of updating the images to the latest Windows fixes, starting with the DC.

So I started the VM and could not logon ?!?!
    Started in Safe mode and could not logon #@#@
    Started in Directory Service Restore Mode and could not logon #[email protected]#$

I'm screwd as this was the last option I can think of with restoring the passwords.

I can mount the disk into any another working image and access the data on there, however what do I need to do?

Many thanks for your advise.

~JH
    Last edited by Jan_Hendrik; 16th July 2008, 22:10. Reason: Issue has been solved

Re: Local AND Domain password trouble

I'm thinking we should move this to the VMware forum as I'm stumped. If I could mount this VM as a "V:" drive then I could muck w/ the registry / OS and I'm certain I could get you in. In a VM, I'm lost on what to do. Jason?!?!?!?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Local AND Domain password trouble

If you didn't make a before/after snapshot I would just try things like this:
      http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Local AND Domain password trouble with VM Servers

Moved from Forgot Administrator Password Forum so Jason might find a solution.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

After posting, I have been busy looking further and I did found the tips at
          1) http://www.petri.com/forgot_administ...password.htm#1
          and
          2) http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm

Since this was a double issue, I first followed the 1) changes to get the local admin unlocked and set it back to my known password with the tools from
          http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/. Excelent stuff!!

Then I followed the steps at 2) and changed the Domain Admin password.

Got the image back up and running so I would not move this to the VM section, as this was just a Windows Admin issue and has nothing to do with VMware.

Thanks btw for your great responses and tips.

~JH

Comment

Moved to Forgot Administrator Password as that is the most relevant forum for this.

Comment

You guys didn't even give me a chance to respond before he resolved the issue himself using Petri resources. I picked up this thread in my RSS reader when I got home from work but couldn't find it in the VMware category - trying to fool me by moving it around a few times I see
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X