Default password?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default password?

I recently created a new user account and gave it "administrator" priviliages and changed my initial user account to "limited". When I created this new admin account I did not specify a password, but I cannot log onto it without one. My guess is that Windows XP gave the account a DEFAULT password because I did not supply one.

Do you know what WinXP would use as a default password for an administrator user account?

Thanks a whole lot for any ideas.

-Todd

As far as I know there is no "Default" password given to new accounts. If XP is not a member of a domain and you're using the new logon method it will let you specify a blank password.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for the reply, I figured out what the problem was.

Comment

Ok, we're happy to hear that you've figured out the problem, but if you told us that, you could have also added what the solution was. That way we might all benefit from your experience. This is what the forum is all about.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

password

If you use xppe it includes a software called locksmith it changes any usernames password on the system without fail .

Comment

XP Pro Includes a program called locksmith ???

Mental Note to self - don't reply to trgamma, I'm all for newbies coming on but just saying you've fixed it without an explaination then sodding off is out of order.

Sorry - It's been a stressful day !!

Topper
            * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

excuse me if your knowledge is not enough and can't read much more.!
              i said xppe meaning XP personal edition you can have a copy from me, or download it from , then again you probably know it as BartPE. you can download it from his site.

xppe is windows xp built to work only from a CD media , even if the PC does not have a hard drive. when it does. you can access everything on the drive repair the registry or download from the internet anything basically, or maybe use the integrated NERO software or something simpler use the intgrated LOCKSMITH.

well i live in NAZARETH ILLIT Israel , you could call me or pop in my lab for a copy. please no hard feelings , we can all be miss read sometimes.
              my number is 0508-680771, my name is steven.

Comment

Originally posted by sjbadger
                excuse me if your knowledge is not enough and can't read much more.!
                i said xppe meaning XP personal edition you can have a copy from me, or download it from , then again you probably know it as BartPE. you can download it from his site.
                Hmm, from reading the site it says "PE" stands for "PreInstalled Environment". So who's the one w/ trouble reading?

That being said this looks like incredibly dubious software. Did you try contacting the developer before posting here? Personally I wouldn't use this. Then again I guess it's no different than a knoppix live cd. Wait a second, yes it is, that doesn't violate any licenses.

well i live in NAZARETH ILLIT Israel , you could call me or pop in my lab for a copy. please no hard feelings , we can all be miss read sometimes.
                my number is 0508-680771, my name is steven.
                It clearly says under topper's name next to every single one of his posts that he's in Leeds, England. So I doubt he'll be popping by your lab any time soon. Again, who's the one w/ trouble reading? I think you made the mistake assuming we all knew what you were talking about when you mentioned some random, shady piece of software. You also assumed that since the site has the .il country code, everyone else on here is in Israel just like yourself. Kind of narrow-mided. A quick look at the user list show's there's folks from all over the world on here.

Lastly, posting your phone # on the internet? Are you @#$!-ing crazy? While it's an (expensive) international call, I'm sure there's more than a small chance of someone from your own area coming across it and harrassing you so much you'll have to change it. Not very good for business or your sanity. Just my 2 shekels.

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
                340 N. 12th St.
                Suite 200
                Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Let's cool down folks, shall we?

And I agree, giving your phone number on a public forum isn't such a smart thing to do...
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Good advice

Daniel: Your sig gets longer everytime i see a post from you!! lol!
                    Server 2000 MCP
                    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks guys for helping me out here!

i did say no hardfeelings.

when i get stuck in a problem like "passwords", i use every resource at hand, some might work some might not, up until i solve the problem i use anything from anybody. i am a n administrator for over 270 systems all using diferrent OS's platforms not to mention language interfaces, i cant keep my users waiting, i try to deliver.

please , i m trying to use this site for many reasons, one of them is making friends. if i make a mistake it isnt the end of the world.

Comment

sorry for not replying folks. I have my profile settings set to not email me when a reply is posted. I do have it set to email me when I receive a private message, although. krishna messaged me a week ago. I came straight here. again, sorry for not following up.

I was able to logon using the initial user account name. little was I aware that this still had administrator privilages.

Comment

Working...
                        X