MMC can't find doman after reset of Windows 2000 Administrator password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMC can't find doman after reset of Windows 2000 Administrator password

I have tried to reset my Windows 2000 server administrator password using the procedure described here: http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...ws_2000_ad.htm
    1)I first cleared the local machine adm password with "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.
    2) Next I used F8 to enter the boot menu to start Windows in "Directory Service Recovery Mode". However I did not have this entry, so I choose "Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows 2000 domain controllers only) instead, is this correct?.
    3) Hereafter I was able to log on to Windows without password and to change the screensaver to cmd.exe
    4) When I run MMC DSA.MSC in the cmd box I get this errror: "Naming information can not be located because the specified domain does not exist or could not be located...."
    When I click ok to this message, the Management Console opens with Active Directory Users and Computers, but with a red cross in the left window and the right window where the users should appear is empty.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: MMC can't find doman after reset of Windows 2000 Administrator password

I found the reason for the problem. I was not familiar with this server but assumed it was a domain controller, but I got a mistake, that it maybe was not, so I tried to restart the server and log in as administrator with no password (as I had cleared the old one) and sucess. Afterwards I was able to enter a new administrator password.
    So I guess that the problem was, that I was using the procedure for resetting password for a domain controller on a non domain controller.

Comment

Working...
    X