Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP SP2 - Log on Password "Deleted"

Hi folks,

First off; Thank you to Daniel and all those who offer assistance on this web site

I've read through the possible fixes to my problem and I'm not sure which one (if any) will be able to rectify my 'deleted' password. It wasn't lost or forgotten, but deleted!

I'll try not to make this post too long, but I'll need to explain my problem and how it occurred.

I'm unable to log on to my Windows XP Pro with service pack 2, as the password was deleted when I ran a software program over the system!

I ran that program over my system as it was meant to replace the missing DLL files that were removed after I decided not to go ahead and purchase a 2004 version of Microsoft Office. I didn't buy that version of MS Office as I was told that Microsoft were due to release an improved version and I wanted to buy that instead. So when the trial was over I was given the option to either purchase the 2004 MS Office, or to delete it, and I chose to delete it. And it took certain DLL files with it and my new Dell 8400 P4 PC wouldn't operate properly after that. I wasn't able to get any help from Microsoft other than being told that they don't support problems that result from using trial versions of their software.

I went online looking for help, only to find hundreds of other people looking for ways to fix these missing DLL files, as they had done that same thing that I had and nobody seemed to have any answers!

That's when I purchased a software program that claimed to be able to replace missing DLL files, among other things. And it unfortunately removed my passwords, resulting in my current problem with no access to the computer.

I again asked Microsoft for help (as the computer was still under warranty at that time) and they told me that it "may" be able to be overridden by taking out the hard drive and installing it into another computer and resetting the passwords that way.

My local computer repair shop didn't seem to know how to do this, and I wasn't prepared to leave it with them to play around with. So that computer has just been sitting around for the last two years gathering dust, and I've been using my old P3 with Win98 ever since then. But there are too many things that I can't do these days with Win98, such as play the latest Quicktime videos, etc. And it's about time that I got my P4 up and running again.

I asked Spotmau if their software would work in this situation, and they said that it wouldn't!

I then tried the fix that worked for Jules on this thread -

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11601

ie: "Thanks for your suggestions. In the meantime I used this link http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305 which describes a cunning backdoor way through XP setup to get to the user accounts where I caused the blunder in the first place. This works despite only being tested on XP Service Pack one - on my install which has service pack two. Jules".

That process almost worked, but I botched it up on step 12 and the fix failed. I've tried to repeat that fix but WinXP only seems to allow you to attempt it once, and I can't get past the 4th step after three attempts, so I'm out of luck with that one I think

I'd like to be able to save the files on that computer, if possible. But if there's no other way around this then I'll just have to wipe it all, or replace the hard drive?

The PC is a stand alone desk top, and I'm the only user of that home PC.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

BTW; I've only been using a computer for 4 years (I'm 49 years of age) and my experience is fairly basic!

Trevor

Re: WinXP SP2 - Log on Password "Deleted"

if its a Dell, you should have a recovery CD which will fresh install the operating system. Since you havent been using it for 2 years (MUCH more patience than I would have ) you are unlilely to miss much except for files.

To get those off, pull out the drive and attach it to a WinXP computer (your 98 box may not read NTFS format), then copy your important files to a CD or USB pen.

Put the drive back in your computer and use the Dell WinXP Cd to install a new OS
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: WinXP SP2 - Log on Password "Deleted"

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      if its a Dell, you should have a recovery CD which will fresh install the operating system. Since you havent been using it for 2 years (MUCH more patience than I would have ) you are unlilely to miss much except for files.

To get those off, pull out the drive and attach it to a WinXP computer (your 98 box may not read NTFS format), then copy your important files to a CD or USB pen.

Put the drive back in your computer and use the Dell WinXP Cd to install a new OS
      Hi Ossian,

Yes, that looks like the way to go!

The system did come with a recovery CD, and I purchased a Vaio 40 gig USB memory device to copy the files onto. The problem was that the computer repair people in my area don't have the experience with performing these tasks and they don't inspire confidence with me, that's the only reason that it's been sitting around for two years. I just lost patience with the whole thing when they just looked at me with blank stares on their faces when I asked them to do what you have suggested. I asked if they knew how to do this, and the guy just kept saying if I bring in the computer he'd take a look at it for me. I've spoken to other repair people who do know how to do this for me, but their two hours drive away from where I live. I live outside a small country town and there's only that one computer shop in my area. I'll speak to them again and see if they have learnt anything in the past two years, otherwise I'll have to take it on a two hour drive to give it to people who do know what they are doing.

Just in case anyone is interested, the fix that I attempted that I described in my first post, looked like it was going to work. The problem that I struck with the 12th step was that my wireless keyboard and mouse weren't working on the P4, even after I replaced the batteries. I don't know why that happened as they were working fine two years ago?

So I had to keep taking the USB keyboard off of my P3 and attaching it to the P4 whenever I wanted to try that fix described in my first post. I hadn't been doing that with the mouse as it wasn't needed, "until" I got to the 12th step. Then I needed the mouse to open and close the pop up windows that opened during that step. I attached the mouse but it failed to be recognised by the system, and I had to shut the system down and reboot it to get the system to recognise the mouse. When I did that reboot the system then wouldn't allow me to get past the 4th step of windows setup, so that put an end to that fix. If I would have had the mouse installed from the start I think that fix was going to do the job, but it seems that the system will only "allow" that fix to be attempted just the once, for whatever reason?

When this problem first occurred two years ago I wasn't able to find anything on line at the time to try and fix the problem. If I would have found this web site back then and attempted the fix that I've just tried, it may have worked out Ok.

I was looking at the method described on this web site at the time -

[email protected] Boot Disk is a bootable LiveCD/DVD/USB Flash Disk that allows you to boot up any computer and fix most startup and PC configuration problems. Use [email protected] Boot Disk to recover your lost data, manage HDD partitions, reset Windows passwords, make computer system backups and securely erase data and there is much more.
      http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

Does anyone think that method would still work?

That method requires a floppy drive and I didn't have a floppy drive installed in the P4 back then, but I bought one and I've just installed it into the P4.

The process looks complicated and quite involved and I don't think that I have enough experience with computing to perform these tasks myself, as it involves a good working knowledge of DOS.

I'm just thinking that it could be one way around the problem if all else fails. As Microsoft told me that XP Pro "may not" be able to be accessed in the way that you described Ossian?

I'm looking at ALL possible options to try and save the files that I have stored on the P4 system. These methods could be useful to other people in the future (if they work). But I think that I wouldn't attempt them myself, I would only ask a qualified and experienced computer technician familiar with DOS to perform that method.

Thanks for your help and advice

Trevor

Comment

Working...
      X