No announcement yet.

Only user account locked out in Windows XP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only user account locked out in Windows XP

I was using a particular log in ID to access my laptop. My ID had admin privilages in the laptop. I didn't created any other ID or know any existing ID.

Because of multiple unsucessfull login attemp the ID go locked. I know the password but currently I am getting a account locked out error.

Mine is a office laptop and I don't have a XP CD or start up disk.

Can anyone suggest how can I be able to re login to the system?

Re: Only user account locked out in Windows XP

If this laptop is not a member of a domain try this...

Boot to Safe Mode and log in as the Administrator account with no password. Unless someone gave the admin account a password during the original OS install, this may work for you.
    Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Thanks Jake,

But it didn't help. As I mentioned before this is a loptop given to me by my company so not sure if the admin password was reset by some earlier user. My company's support group is also not able to help. Any clue to resolve this issue will be great. Please note, the option of formatting or installing some other operating systems to resolve the issue is the least preferrable for me.

[email protected]

Why are your "support group" unable to help? If you can't do your work because you are locked out, surely they must help you?

Is it on a domain (press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and check for 3 lines in the login box (click options first). If so, just ask them to unlock your account at the DC and then connect your laptop to the LAN
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **