Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My CD Drive is not working and I dont have floppy drive!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CD Drive is not working and I dont have floppy drive!!!

Hi everyone,
    I forgot the Administrator password on my PC, but I dont have a floppy drive on my PC and the CD Drive is not working. How can I recover/Reset the Admin password so I can use my PC again.
    I have Flash Memory but Windows 2003 wouldnt look for a system file from the USB inlet I guess (I know it checks the floppy and CD drives).
    Can anyone help!!!

Re: My CD Drive is not working and I dont have floppy drive!!!

Get a floppy or CD rom drive...
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

CD drive: 10
      Floppy drive: 5
      Access to your data again: Priceless
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian and Wired,

Thanks for replying, but these were not quite the solutions I was looking for. Does anyone know a way of dealing with this problem without having to purchase anything? That is the question.
        Last edited by biggles77; 21st November 2007, 07:21. Reason: Silly large and bolded formatting REMOVED!!!

Comment

Well the tell us what is the solution you are looking for if the USB device won't work?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Well the tell us what is the solution you are looking for if the USB device won't work?
            The USB device works. It is the CD drive that doesnt work, and I dont have a floppy drive.
            Indeed, I am looking for a solution that makes use of the USB device.
            Last edited by biggles77; 21st November 2007, 19:01. Reason: Do that stupid format crap again and it is 2 weeks!!

Comment

No need to shout!

Will your BIOS (not the OS) let you use a USB device to emulate a floppy or CD?

While you're at it, tell us a bit more about your PC
              I presume it is a server (since you mention Windows 2003)?
              Is it a domain controller, a domain member or a stand-alone server?
              What SP?
              What MoBo / Drive Controller?

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                No need to shout!

Will your BIOS (not the OS) let you use a USB device to emulate a floppy or CD?

While you're at it, tell us a bit more about your PC
                I presume it is a server (since you mention Windows 2003)?
                Is it a domain controller, a domain member or a stand-alone server?
                What SP?
                What MoBo / Drive Controller?

Tom
                It is a stand-alone server. As for the rest SP!!! or MoBo!!! I think you need to be easy on me.

Comment

What SP? = "What service pack is installed?"
                  What MoBo? = "What make and model of Motherboard is fitted to your computer?"

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by james999 View Post
                    The USB device works. It is the CD drive that doesnt work, and I dont have a floppy drive.
                    Indeed, I am looking for a solution that makes use of the USB device.
                    Again I have poorly worded an answer. If Windows is looking to use a non USB device for the system files then the USB device is not working. All this time and effort when a CD ROM drive (second hand or one swapped from another PC) would solve your problem now and for the future.

There has been mentioned on this site a USB flash drive that comes with software that will emulate a FDD. Failing that, if you motherboard will boot from a USB flash drive, then making one bootable and copying the appropriate files to it should assist in solving the lack of a working CD or FDD.

No more silly fonts please. Thank you.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks everybody for your comments/suggestions.

finally, I got into the system and created a new user with admin privileges. However, it seems that now I cannot access my previous files which were saved prviously under the Administrator account.

Comment

You will need to take ownership of the files -- use google to see how
                        WARNING -- if the administrator encrypted any of their files, do not do anything until you are sure you will not lose them!
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Hi,

If it is a win xp we can recover the administrator password by using the XP cd. i can give u the steps if u need and by default win will have an administrator so u try to enter into safemode and keep on pressing ctrl+alt+del continuouslu so that u will get administrator account if still u are not able to login u need to have xp cd so that we can recover the administrator password

phanidhar
                          ccna,a+,n+,rhce,mcp
                          Last edited by phanidhar; 8th December 2007, 22:34.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great tip...

Not!

How many times do we need to tell the world that if YOU ALREADY HAVE A PASSWORD for the BUILT-IN administrator, then NO SAFE MODE or ANY OTHER KIND of F8 trick will work for you, nor will REPAIRING the system.

If it was so simple we wouldn't need this forum now would we?
                            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                            X