Forgot password for Windows 98

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot password for Windows 98

I forgot my password or somehow changed the registry on my system for Windows 98 and need to change settings to normal now that I no longer have minor children in the household. In IE 6, I've tried to get to my ie options, and I get the error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" (I am the only one that set it up or has changed settings in the past). I've seen posts on accessing the regedit.exe, but when I try to run it, I get this error message: "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator". I've no idea when or how I could have done this. I've also tried to access system passwords from my control panel to input one that I would remember, but it asks for the old password first. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Re: Forgot password for Windows 98

98 doesn't have real passwords. What are you talking about, the parental controls for internet explorer?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

IIRC (long, long ago), you could delete a file called user.pwl (where user is the username)

Have you considered upgrading to a slightly more recent OS?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wired, I'm talking about trying to change internet explorer options, as in going to 'tools' - 'options'. I get the error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" when I try to do that. Upon reading some of the posts, I thought it may be a registry error, but when I try to go to 'start', and try to run 'regedit.exe' to see if there's something possibly wrong there, I also get system admin error message.
        Ossian, I have considered a more recent OS, but have not really had any issues with '98 until now.

Comment

It sounds as if you have a "system policy" in effect
          Can you run a program called POLEDIT ?
          If so, you will be able to change settings, but I have no idea which ones are the correct ones to change!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

Ossian, No, I can't run POLEDIT, system says a file by that name can't be found.

Comment

Poledit is in the Win 98 CD.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles77, I tried the poledit trick, and sorry to say, it did not take care of my original problems; my system is still giving me the administrator errors as before.

Comment

There are 2 parts to Poledit. User and Machine. Check that all the settings have been removed from both parts.

Also, could you post back with the steps you took when running Poledit. Something may have been missed.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X