User acct locked out and forgot admin password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User acct locked out and forgot admin password

I have a Dell D600 laptop with XP Professional (no floppy but I do have a CD/DVD). The admin password was set-up some time ago but I forgot it, yet it was never really a problem until now. My wife had changed the user acct password and when I tried to log-on I was not aware and now we are locked out. I have tried to boot off the CD using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor but that is not working (I burned the disk on a Mac but that should not matter). It just keeps booting from the HD. I checked the set-up menu and the Configure Setup is disabled and the boot order is as follows:
    1. Diskette
    2. Internal HD
    3. USB
    4. CD/Drive

Since I don't have the admin password I can't change the order. According to what I have read pressing F12 should allow me to bypass and select the CD but it does not seem to work. The only time it works is when I use the Dell Diagnostics CD. To make things even more complicated I do not have the original bootable XP disk.

What are my options?

Re: User acct locked out and forgot admin password

Since your are not able to boot from CD /DVD that means:

Your CD /DVD drive is out of order -> replace it or use an external CD/DVD drive;
    or
    Your bootable CD is not actuatlly bootable or it is damaged -> write a new Offline NT Password & Registry Editor disk (ex. ER Commander)
    or
    Both

It is possible to prepare a bootable flash drive but is not a so easy.
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

I don't think it is the CD drive. It works fine when I use the Dell Diagnotics boot disc and I hit F12 at startup. I select CD and no problems. It just does not work with the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor CD I created. I tried it 4 times and wasted 4 CD-R's.

Does the boot order in Config Setup have anything to do with it? Maybe I should buy a floppy drive and try it that way? Diskette is listed as #1 on the boot order.

Comment

Tell us exactly how you are creating the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor CD. Maybe we'll see something obvious.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Here are the steps I took:
          1. Downloaded the CD version zip file to my other computer (running Mac OS 10.3.9)
          2. Unzipped the file
          3. Clicked on the cd070927.iso file to extract
          4. Used Roxio Toast Titanium 6 and burned a CD of the extracted folder named "chntpw 070927". I choose ISO 9660 format and also burned two other discs in custom hybrid format. None worked.

Thanks

Comment

That's why it doesn't boot. You need to burn the ISO directly as an image and not a file. Don't know what the terminology is in Roxio but if you look around you should be able to find it.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

That's exactly what it was! Sometimes it's the simple mistakes that get you stuck. Thank you very much.
              Last edited by tpod; 3rd November 2007, 04:04.

Comment

Working...
              X