No announcement yet.

W2K3 Domain Admin Password Reset Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K3 Domain Admin Password Reset Issue

I am trying to reset a domain admin password on a W2K3 domain controller. I have accessed the Directory services recovery console (boot in safe mode) and once done i have used robert stroms script. all the files are loaded locally on the server and i have edited the username and password.

The script runs perfectly, no errors and everything appears fine but when i reboot i still cannot login.

Anybody suggest what could be going wrong? I really need to get in to the system. i would be willing to pay for a commercial tool if i could be guaranteed it would work. ERD commander is no longer available.

To be clear i have the local admin password and the Directory services password now i just need the Domain admin password

all help much appreciated

Re: W2K3 Domain Admin Password Reset Issue

further update:

I have also tried opthcrack live cd which is a slax linux bootable image which couldn't find any hashes but i know that there are hashes.

has anyone else used this script from the site. the only thing i can think of is that i needed to set a completely new password as maybe the password i gave which was the same as the local admin has already been used and is prevented by the GPO on password history (probably set to 5)

Again has anyone a good experience with a commercial tool

Re: W2K3 Domain Admin Password Reset Issue

Have you tried the manual process (vs. Strom's script)? URL included for others:

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.