Deleted a reg. item and now xp lap. asking for Passwords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted a reg. item and now xp lap. asking for Passwords

Ok, here's the whole story (maybe someone can help).

Had a vundo virus on a xp laptop. As far as I can remember, never had a password for admin or my user name (both admin). Had gotten rid of the page that asks for them also, always booted to desktop. If it went into standby I would see my user name on the screen and just click it.

My Norton was expired at the time I got the virus, renewed and backed up reg. as I tried to change some items to delete the virus. This worked except for one file, awvvs.dll. Also ran Sym. fix vundo, and another vundo fix. The second one took away some other vundo stuff and computer was fasted but still had a popup.

I tried to delete the last file c\windows\system32\awvvs.dll, it wouldn't since it says it was being used. It was late, and it was 2 days of trying everything so I searched the registry and found a file that said something like this:

ap authorization: msqo=c\windows\system32\awvvs.dll

so I deleted this and tried to delete the file from the system32 folder, I couldn't it still said it was being used. I searched the reg. again and the deleted file came back. And (mistake) I deleted it again and rebooted.

Upon reboot Admin and my user name came up looking for passwords. I tried some (even though I was pretty sure I never had a password there) to no avail. So I came to this site and downloaded the bootable cd (nice program, btw) and also through ibm recovery I grabbed a copy of the back up of the registry.

The cd has let me clear the locks and does blank out the passwords (it says *BLANK* when I rerun), but when I get to the sign on screen it now only asks me for my user password (no admin icon) and doesn't let me in when I leave the box blank and hit the arrow.

The only other odd ? messages I get is: No lanman hash found, as well as no nt md hash found (which I assume is good).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And I am sorry for the long explanation, but I tried to put everything down, incase it was relevant.

Thanks spike

Re: Deleted a reg. item and now xp lap. asking for Passwords

I have tried and cleared and reset Admin and user name numerous times but have come up empty.

I am wondering if there is any way to have the boxed checked "passwd not req" through this software or any other?

I looked at Windows Key by LostPassword.com, featured on the main page, but am fearful that my results would be the same. If anyone feels differently please let me know,and I will purchase it.

Thanks spike

Comment

When ran the "Sym. fix vundo", did you do it in Safe Mode with System Restore turned off? If not, try it again that way and see if that helps.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks biggles. When I ran fix vundo I didn't do it in safe mode, just tried to do it there, but it is asking for my user name password, and wont let me in.

Comment

XP Home or Pro?
          Have you tried logging on as Administrator without a password?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Pro and even as admin, it is aking for a password (even after clearing and blanking).

Comment

How did you clear and blank the password? Use any of these methods? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=2438
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X