Loss Admin Password - what if I upgrade my OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss Admin Password - what if I upgrade my OS

Before paying for for password decoding, the free one didn't work what if I take my PC from Windows 2000 to say XP, what are the risks. Especially since I can't get in to backup my files. Can this over write the system so it won't ask for a password? This is an old company PC that was given away when the company closed.
    Last edited by SCTexan; 12th October 2007, 16:06. Reason: more info

Re: Loss Admin Password - what if I upgrade my OS

Which "free one didn't work"?

Give us some details on what you've tried.

If you don't care about what's on the machine, formatting and installing a new OS may be the way to go. Tell us the highlights of the machine (GHz, RAM, Video, HD GB, etc.)
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

There are a few things that would be a pain to rebuild, but possible. I've tried to find an old tech and they did remember a password, but it didn't work on mine.

I used Login Recovery, it came back saying something like unable to decifer, complex configuration. Loosely translated.

I have a Pentium 3, 312ram, 33 processor (i think)

Comment

If you go into the BIOS at setup, you may get some more information. I'm going to guess it's 384 MB of RAM as 312 isn't a usual number. '33' makes no sense re: P3.

I used to have a dual Tualatin 1.26 GHz P3 setup w/ 1 GB RAM that ran W2K Server quite nicely. Note I used to.

XP really doesn't run well with less than 512 MB.

I'm gonna tell you right now that you're better off putting this machine by the curb and buying the lowest form of life available from any manufacturer than wasting time on an upgrade.

On the LoginRecovery bit, I'm wondering if your company disabled LM hashing (old compatibility mechanism that is decipherable with reasonable resources).

If you use LoginRecovery's boot CD process such that you have to type in the entire hash in their web page and verify it has the form shown in this thread:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12843

that will get us a long way towards knowing if that should have worked. Other options here:

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...r_password.htm

will reset the password (choose a blank password).
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

he probably meant 512, not 312

I agree, either format it, or just buy a new computer.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well I did it. I'm now running XP. I had an old hard drive that I installed as the master and kept the old one as the slave. That way I was able to copy the important files off of the old main drive. Then I put the main drive back and loaded XP on it. System works great overall. I do have a few boot up driver bugs to address but I have a working computer again.

Comment

Working...
            X