Lost administrator password windows XP PRO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost administrator password windows XP PRO

This is a windows XP PRO and today it was joint to a new domain, but then later, that server crashed, rebuilt and recreated another domain with new name. The problem is that I cannot login as an administrator in that PC because the domain does not longer exist and I have no clue what was the local password (we never use those machines locally). I read a piece in this WEB site that says:

"One method of gaining access to the system is by trying hard to remember the forgotten password, or a password of another user which has the same level of administrative rights. However I don't think this approach will help you, otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here reading article, would you?)

Another method is by trying to restore a backed up System State (in Windows 2000/XP/2003)"

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm

That would work with me because I do know the password of the domain it was joined too.... but How can I restore to an earlier point if I cannot get access to the PCs at all? Could someone PLEASE elaborate????

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Steve

Re: Lost administrator password windows XP PRO

You should be able to logon to that old domain with cached credentials. Pull it from the network and try. If so and you "did" logon w/ a domain account that was a local admin too, then you can reset the local admin password.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I am sorry I do not understand.... When the machine starts up, I only have to choices for login: locally, and to the "new" gone domain. If I could get the choice to login under the old domain, which it still fine, then I would be able to login.....

Could you further explain how I could proceed please?

Steve

Comment

You should be able to logon to the "new" gone domain using the username / password you originally connected to "new" before it was "gone" using cached credentials. Unplugging from the network expedites that process. Hoping you logged on last to "new" before it was "gone" as an admin.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Moved to Forgot Administrator Password forum
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X