Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reset Password on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server

Hello,

first of all, thank you very much for the incredible work you have done assembling all this information.

I am trying to reset the password for some Windows 2003 Enterprise Server machines. I just took them over, and the administrators that used to work on them have left the company.

I have tried to reset the password for the local Administrator (using Petter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor), with success, and tried to login locally in the Directory Service Restore Mode.

However, the previous administrators have, I think, removed the option to login locally for security purposes. I only see the login screen and clicking options changes nothing, basically.

I am a bit stuck now and would be very glad if you could help me. I have physical access to the machines and whatever I can do with a Linux bootdisk, I can do.

Thank you very much for your help,

Felix.
    Last edited by felixsmile; 15th August 2007, 17:40. Reason: Solved

[Solved] Re: Reset Password on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server

Hello everyone,

please excuse me for the maybe useless post, I had been successful on so many machines and didn't know what to do with the Windows 2003 "behaviour".

So here's the explanation: (got it from the Petter Nordahl-Hagen's website)

When you reset the password, and it says "filesystem locked", it is actually a "fatal" error (I thought the program would work around it) and nothing has been written to the filesystem. I think this appears with Windows 2003 Server more (or only?), compared to the older or desktop versions.

Problem fix: reboot the PC in Safe Mode (Press F8 after the BIOS screen/screens), then shut down the server properly. You might need to do this twice, according to Petter Nordahl-Hagen, one was enough for me.

Then everything works as described.

Have a nice day!

Felix.
    Last edited by felixsmile; 15th August 2007, 17:39. Reason: Solved

Comment

Re: Reset Password on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server

Felix, thank you for posting back with your experience about this as I am sure it will help others with a problem like yours in the future. Your consideration is greatly appreciated and I hope we see you back here again when time (or problems) permit.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X