X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlocking, undisabling, reset password of Local Admin account

Scenario:
    1st Win 2k3 machine
    - Local Administrator account has been disabled and the password is unknown.
    - Alt Local Admin account password is unknown and locked out.
    - Domain login is unavailable due to disabled NICs.

2nd Win 2k3 machine
    - Local Administrator account has been disabled and the password is unknown.
    - Alt Local Admin account password is unknown but NOT locked out.
    - Domain login is available and full admin rights are accessible.

Machines are Dell PowerEdge 2850s with SCSI RAID which has been quite the hassle in getting floppy startup tools like the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to get anywhere.

I know almost 100% positive that both Alternate Local Admin accounts have the same password.

Is there an easy method to determine the password on the machine I CAN get to so I can attempt to use it on the one I can't get to?

Does anyone know if the EBCD will load the correct drivers for my computer? I had to go home to burn the ISO as I can't download it at work.

Any way to re-enable the NICs without doing so from windows? If that were possible, I could log in with a domain admin account and not bother with any password recovery etc.

Re: Unlocking, undisabling, reset password of Local Admin account

Just a follow up post for everyone, we had a couple versions of Winternals, one from 02 and one from 05. 05 was able to load our scsi raid array drivers and allowed us to reset the password on both the Admin and Alt admin accounts and so we were able to get back into the system. Hope everyone has as good of luck as we did, though it took us most of a work day to finally get the problem resolved.

As a learning point, we're going to be going back and standardizing ALL the passwords this time instead of assuming that they were standardized on setup and make sure we have the ability to get into the computer locally.

Comment

Glad to hear it worked out. For other readers, what bits of Winternals did you use? Any idea how the machines got so locked down in the first place?
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The Winternals version we had booted up to a windows looking environment and one of the tools was called locksmith which allowed you to change any of the local accounts.

The reason it was locked down so hard was a bit of admin error and a SQL failover to another server that had to assume the IP of the original. Instead of just pulling the NIC I disabled it and didn't realize the alt admin account that we use primarily was not working correctly. First time we had to do it so it was good to get the kinks worked out I guess.

Comment

Working...
        X