Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Password known - how to extract NTFS data from USB drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password known - how to extract NTFS data from USB drive?

My laptop died a long time ago (motherboard). I've taken the hard drive out and put it into a USB connector and connected it to my drive. However, I can't get into the my documents folder of my username.

I know the password (it's at least one of 4 passwords I use). How can I get into it?

Original system: XP PRo
    Current: XP Media Center.

Re: Password known - how to extract NTFS data from USB drive?

Take ownership using one of the admin accounts on the box you've connected it to... the admin account of the original machine is stored on the hard drive you're trying to access and is therefore not in play.

To take ownership, right-click the foler, select "Properties", click the "Security" tab, click "Advanced", click the "Ownership" tab, select "Administrators", tick "Change owner on subfolders and files" and click "OK".

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I'll try that when I get home tonight. However, it seems to really make NTFS the lamest protection in the world if you can just drag the drive to a new PC and just take ownership.

I'm still working on trying to get my encrypted data back. A friend has shown me BartPE and I'm going to try and ghost the laptop image into VMWare workstation.

Even if your solution works, testing out the other methods is just entertaining and educational.

Comment

Getting your encrypted files back is going to be a whole lot more difficult... best of luck. It might be worth booting the drive in another system, ignoring the driver issues you get, and if you can log in, decrypt the files in the native OS they were created in.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

That's why I'm trying to import into my VMware environment. I ghosted the system last night for import into VM tonight. Hopefully that will work.

Comment

Ok, I can't seem to find the 'take control' in Media Center edition. This seems to act more like XP home.

I'd know how to do it in Win2k or higher, but media center seems to be a pain in my behind.

Can anyone assist?

Comment

Media Centre should be a "Pro" variant. You may have "Simple File Sharing" enabled; you need to turn this off. In Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, bottom tick box in the lower window pane... untick it. then go "OK" and try again.

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X