Trying to install apps on my Corporate laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to install apps on my Corporate laptop

Hi. Recently, the hard drive crashed on my corporate laptop (IBM T40) imaged with Windows XP Pro SP2. They sent me a new one, but this time they didn't give me admin privileges. I have standard User privileges. The machine is a member of a domain. Unfortunately, I'm out of state on medical disability with this thing for the next 2 months and need to install a bunch of apps. I tried Ophcrack to no avail: It just showed "Not found". I don't know if the passwords are stored on the server. However, Ophcrack didn't even come back with my own user id or password, so I don't know if I'm doing it right. My personal password seems to fall within the search criteria of the tables: alphanumeric with mixed cases, and 8 characters in length. Ophcrack ran for almost an hour. It seemed to indicate there were 5 passwords, and it found one LM password. I tried logging on with that username, but to no avail. I've downloaded SSTIC04-5k.zip, the ~749MB tables, but I don't know if they will help.

I can remove the hard drive and access it on my home desktop with an external USB drive bay, if I need to. I have unlimited physical access to the machine and lots of time on my hands.

I don't want to reset the admin password, I just want to install my applications. Can anyone advise me how to do that?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by upthereinthesky; 1st July 2007, 09:58. Reason: Reformatting for legibility.

Re: Trying to install apps on my Corporate laptop

Yup, ring THEM and get them to give you an admin username / password. I'm sure most guys on this forum would not want to get too involved in trying to crack a password on a corporate laptop. If what you're doing is legitimate from the point of view of the company that owns the laptop, they should be the ones who decide what rights to give you. Sorry, I don't mean to preach, just be respectful to their property.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Paul:

Yes, that's the obvious method. I did indeed ask for the privileges, and our support IT person said he would set it up, and he didn't. Now, he's on vacation and the help desk personnel say it's against their rules to make an exception for me. So, I'm out of luck, I guess.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

So, I'm out of luck, I guess.
        There's another way to look at it. Your company's out of luck. You can't do any work at all because you can't install your standard apps... so you should call your boss, advise HIM of the situation, and wait until the fur starts flying...

I doubt it will be long before you get sorted.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Yes, good point. One example is ACT!. I've got over 3000 contacts in there. WinFax Pro is another. Google Toolbar. And about 20 other nifty little utilities and programs, including some rather big ones, like Visual Studio. I think I'll follow your suggestion!

Thanks a lot.

Comment

P.S.: It's not even that the company won't allow the apps to be installed. The procedure is to have the IT support weenies install them. I'm trying to help out, because the last time I did a clean reinstall of Windows on my laptop, it took me an entire week to re-install all the apps, what with the updates, etc. I just can't exercise that option from a hundred miles away.

Comment

You do realize you're TALKING to the "IT weenies", right?
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I'm sorry. I wasn't being deliberately provocative. Just having a little fun.

So, I called the IT w... oops, I mean the IT Support Team. They will use NetMeeting to remotely install all, or almost all, my apps. Turns out that Skype is not licensed for commercial use, and since it's corporate property, it's not allowed.

Plus, their version of Visual.Net is more recent than mine. And, it's free! (to me, at least.)

Thanks for all your advice!

Comment

Mate you are correct in calling them IT weenies as it is the IT Professionals who are the ones who frequent these forums.

Pleased you are backup and running with most of your toys running. Enjoy.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Skype IS licensed for what I believe is your intended use:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/company...ula/index.html

Article 2 License and Restrictions
                    2.1 License. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Skype hereby grants You a limited, personal, non-commercial, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-assignable, free of charge license to download, install and use the Skype Software on Your computer, phone or PDA for the sole purpose of personally using the internet communication applications provided by Skype and any other applications that may be explicitly provided by Skype. For the avoidance of doubt, You are allowed to use Skype Software at work, in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
                    I'm thinking "Commercial" in Skype terms is you making money off selling access to Skype and not, as stated above, using Skype on a work computer.
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Rick:

Thanks a lot for the info. I believe you are correct: my application of Skype would constitute personal use. I will try to convince the corporate monolith of your case.

Thanks again.

Bill

Comment

Re: Weenies

Biggles77:

I just looked up the definition of "Weenie" on Google:

(tongue in cheek): a tube steak.

I see now why the hackles got raised. During my tenure in the USAF back in the 70s, literally everyone was a weenie of some sort or another. The term got so overused that apparently, for me at least, the definition morphed into a much more benign form.

And, although my experience falls far short of the majority of you, I have earned a small income in the field of computers at various junctures in the past. To that extent, at least, I am entitled to some self-deprecating humor which, unfortunately, is not completely focused on myself.

Comment

You want tech humour, come and look at some of MY installs. (Sssssshhh, don't tell anyone I said this)
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X