Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switched from domain, forgot password, got password, cant switch back.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switched from domain, forgot password, got password, cant switch back.

Topic says it mostly. I fall into the category of stupid people that took their laptop which is part of a domain (domain login account) and switched it to a workgroup.

Bummer couldnt login. Used the techniques to regain local access to the computer. Can now log in locally, need to get windows xp switched back to the domain.

Took the laptop up to my work and connected it in. Picked to switch it back to my domain. A box pops up once I put in my username, password, and domain that says "An account on the domain ___ has been found do you want to use it?". I pick yes.

It says "Access is denied".

Any ideas what the deal is with it? My account on the domain is obviously valid because I am logged in with the same credintials to my desktop right beside my laptop.

Our admin/tech guys wont be around until Monday.

Thanks for any tips!

Re: Switched from domain, forgot password, got password, cant switch back.

Get to work extra early on Monday.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Switched from domain, forgot password, got password, cant switch back.

To clarify - the account it tells you exists and would you like to use it is the COMPUTER account, not your user account. The domain still thinks your computer is a member of the Domain. You have two choices (depending how much access you have)

If you have rights on your domain:

1. Delete the existing computer account for your laptop, and if you don't have the rights to do this, rename your laptop to something else. THEN try rejoining the domain. If it still says "Access Denied" then you need to go to step "2" below.

If you don't have rights on your domain:

2. Do as Biggles says, go into work extra early on Monday - but take a bottle of wine/crate of beer/other inducement with you; hold your cap in your hand, and bow your head, and ask for the help of your computer support people. They will ridicule you mercilessly, and also possibly restrict your access to your laptop for the future... but they will likely rejoin the domain for you.

Hope this helps.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
      X