No announcement yet.

Repair required; Administrator password not known

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair required; Administrator password not known

Hello, I'm sorry for posting in this thread, could some please help me. I have a strange problem, which is that when I turn on my computer it tells me to put the original windows disk, and then select "r" for repair at the first screen. It asks me what to repair. (c:windows) and then my administrator password. The problem is I don't know it. I have had the computer for about a year and have windows xp pro with sp2. This started happening after a power outage and my battery backup failed on me. Please help me I'm having a bad day.

Re: Repair required; Administrator password not known

Do not hijack someone else's thread. Please read the forum rules:

I split your post off into a new thread as I'm a nice guy

Have you tried blank and all your usual passwords? You can't lock out Administrator. Too many bad attempts justs puts a delay between attempts.

If that doesn't work, you may need to try a password reset tool (reset it to blank as that seems to work best).

A few here:

Also some others if you look through this forum.

Any given reason why you are being directed to the recovery console?

If resetting doesn't work, you could also try a "Repair Install" (different beast) to get your system operational. It won't fix your password issue in and of itself (unless you try the Shift-F10 trick) but it may work for you as long as you know the password to your account and it is an admin. Here's a link and do read it thoroughly before attempting (esp. the activation and updates bits):

For the Shift-F10 trick, combine this w/ the previous link:

I'd run CMD in step 11 then do a "net user administrator newpassword"

I think there's plenty here to get you in trouble.

Do be careful.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.