No announcement yet.

Windows XP Home (Offline NT Password & Registry Editor didn't work)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Home (Offline NT Password & Registry Editor didn't work)

I have a password problem. One Windows XP home computer which has one guest account without a password, one user account with administrator privileges and one default Administrator account, both of which have passwords that have been long forgotten.

Iím told the user accountís password was misspelled and theyíve tried every combination to get it back. Also, the guy who originally put the machine together has given me a list of possible passwords for the Administrator account but none have worked.

I tried the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor on my computer and it worked first time, but I canít get it to work on theirs. It told me the accounts had blank passwords but Windows still refused to login. Iím not sure why, I did everything the same. Maybe it has something to do with the fact they have been plugging in all the password possibilities they can think of and itís locked up the accounts. I could get the program to say itís unlocked them, but no matter what I changed the password to, or if I made it blank, I just could not login.

I tried everything I could think of but after an hour and a half I just left and told them to reinstall. I had to give them a Windows disc, but now that I think about it, if they donít have their Windows disc, thereís a good chance they donít have a driver CD either. So Iím going to have to call them tomorrow morning and tell them that reinstalling isnít an option. (This is a really old machine, nobody would remember what motherboard, etc it has so downloading drivers isnít an option either.)

Are there any other free programs that I can burn to a CD and take to their house that will reset their password? It doesnít matter how it works, there are no personal files that need saved.

PS Yes I have read the FAQs on the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor website but all I found was this.

Q:It seems to change the password, but NT won't agree.

A:* The NTFS code wasn't that great after all (probably didn't write things properly)
    * My code wasn't that great after all. (it didn't change or changed in the wrong place. The V struct is still marked "here be dragons..")
    * Try blanking the password instead (entering * at the prompt), this may straighten things out. In fact, reports indicate: BLANKING RECOMMENDED!
    * If it still won't work, see the previous solution.
    * Blanking will probably be the only option beginning from some release in 2007.

Re: Windows XP Home (Offline NT Password & Registry Editor didn't work)

AFAIK, you can't "lock out" Administrator. It will just slow down your logon attempts after N failures.

There are some BartPE based solutions out there. One of interest that seems to contain legal, shareware, freeware utilities is the Ultimate Boot CD:

Never tried it so caveat emptor but do search the forum as at least one other person has in recent months.

Do visit

EDIT: If you have them re-install, how are you planning on handling the XP Activation issue? May want to check out a Repair Install here:

Look at the Activation bit as it may help even if you opt for a re-install
    Last edited by rvalstar; 7th June 2007, 07:37.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.