Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot the Administrator's Password - Alternatate Logon Trick problem

Hi,
    I've been attempting to follow the article that this thread is named after but ive encountered a problem. Step 11 says that all you have to do is type net user administrator 123456 and the password will be set to 123456, however every time i attempt this windows says

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

I unfortunately dont know where to go to find out what system error 5 is, not that im even certain that would allow me to correct the problem on my own.
    any help with this problem would be appreciated as i really need to get my girlfriends computer operational again.
    I did attempt the password reset utilities however her floppy drive doesnt work (apparently she tried purchasing and installing a new one when the problem initally occured, with no success) and even with the bios set to boot from the cdrom drive first it doesnt boot off of the recovery utility on a cd (i tested the disc in my computer and it worked fine).
    Once again, thanks for any help you can offer.
    Sean

Re: Forgot the Administrator's Password - Alternatate Logon Trick problem

From that same article:

Note: The information found on this page is valid ONLY for Windows NT 4.0, and for some earlier versions of Windows 2000 (prior to more advanced service packs). DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRY THIS ON WINDOWS XP PRO MACHINES, you will only waste your time.
    Here's why:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...security+token
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

If you "System error 5 has occurred" you get a plethera of information about the error. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...as+occurred%22

What operating system are you applying this password recovery too?
      Is this a standalone computer or was it once used in a company/business on a Domain?
      Try using Password1 as the password and see if that works. A policy on your g/f computer may have been played with that would require a complex password and Password1 will meet the complex requirements.
      Last edited by biggles77; 6th June 2007, 00:16. Reason: Spelling
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you can't boot off floppy or CD you have some serious issues. Try getting into the BIOS screens and see if you can add the CD as a boot device.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I just realised I made a rather stupid mistake and left out a very important piece of information... i forgot to say which version of windows its running. its on windows 2000, when the command prompt pops up instead of the screen saver it says version 5.00.2195

oh, and reading the replies (thanks again btw), i cant believe i didnt think to google that error.
          I also tried using Password1 as the new password, sadly that didnt do the trick either.

and as far as the cd as a boot device, ive tried. the bios does have the option to set the cdrom as the primary boot device but for some reason it doesnt work.
          Last edited by slax; 5th June 2007, 23:01. Reason: forgot something

Comment

If you run WHOAMI in that CMD box and get what I show in that long-ago post then your version of W2K has closed this security hole.
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
              If you run WHOAMI in that CMD box
              what exactly do you mean WHOAMI? i tried typing that in and it says its not a recognized internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

and if the security hole has been closed is there anything i can do to fix it? reinstalling windows isnt even an option at this point because the damn thing doesnt want to boot off anything but the hdd....

Comment

it just occured to me, my girlfriend doesnt need the computer to be fully functional, she is simply looking for websurfing capabilities. there is a guest account listed as a user account, however when i attempt to login as guest it says that the account has been disabled. is there perhaps an easy way to enable it without the administrator pw?

Comment

A little bit of Google on WHOAMI always helps:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

If the security hole is "fixed", I know of no way to undo it.

Guest is disabled by default and unless you can boot off something other than HDD and run a password reset tool (in which case you'd go after Administrator), it's gonna be tough.

So how were you able to replace logon.scr w cmd.exe in the first place? That may help determine an alternate approach.
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

i did eventually think to google WHOAMI, however it didnt seem overly helpful when it wasnt on the computer i needed it on.
                    To replace logon.scr with cmd.exe I put my gfs hdd in my computer. It seemed the only possible way. I did check google to see what my options were at that point but found very little. I suppose I could remove my drives and then put in hers and use the password reset utility as it does boot on my computer but that didnt seem like the best option to me. Although its looking like a more attractive option now, somehow I would prefer others (if there are any).
                    But I dont have a lot of time, my gf is getting rather... annoyed, its not fixed yet so its looking more and more like i should do that.
                    Either way, I'm definately going to spend time in this forum from now on, I dislike knowing as little as I apparently do about my OS.

Comment

That's what I wanted to hear. You can mount it again, use SamInside (use Google to find the LM / NT Hash in PWDUMP format then massage that into LoginRecovery format. I discuss this here:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=13906

If you have any specific questions on that process, please post back.

And do tell us the outcome.
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Well I put my gfs hdd in my computer as the primary, ran one of the programs i found in the forgot the admin pw article (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/), reset the passwords. i can now log into the accounts listed. all except one: the administrator account.

I suspect its time for a bit of back story now. My gf had the computer for several years, never created an account, just used the admin account without a password. Then when she moved out for some reason her mom decided to use her computer, created her own account and then promptly forgot the password and currently insists she never created any accounts at all.
                        When I was resetting the passwords, I reset them all. There were 4 users including Administrator and Guest, the other two were my gfs moms full name and first name.
                        When I attempt to log in as Administrator it acts as if the password is incorrect, even though I know its the password i just set it to. Also, when I look in the documents and settings folder, there is an additional user in my gfs nickname (which starts with a ', i dont know if that would affect anything). Ive tried loging into that using the admin pw i set, Ive tried going into the control panel and accessing the user accounts with the admin pw I set, nothing works. And my gf is getting rather pissed off now because she needs her computer to work again (and not only does she want it to work, because it is, but she wants it to work the way it used to).
                        I cant even uninstall the crap thats on there and making it run like a piece of garbage without adminstrator access and the password i set doesnt work :S

Comment

Try the SAMInside and LoginRecovery bit to find out the Administrator password.
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

The only problem with going the LoginRecovery route is that my gf will be really pissed off if i tell her it will be two days until her computer is working...
                            Isnt the utility that I used supposed to be able to change the admin pw?
                            But, seeing as how Ive gotta get this thing fixed asap, Im atleast gonna get that hash submitted while I wait for a reply. Thanks again for all your help rvalstar.

Comment

Since you already tried it and it didn't work, I'm looking for other angles. There are other password reset utilities but I have no experience with them nor do I know how well they'll work. LoginRecovery does work but expects to run off a boot CD or floppy. If you're able to boot the drive in your machine, you may try that before using SAMInside. And if Loginrecovery tells you they could crack it now wait 2 days, the site indicates you can opt to pay for an immediate viewing.
                              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X