No announcement yet.

password reset tool

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password reset tool

alright ... to make it simple ..... i am a computer technician ... (not a programmer sadly) and believe me, i have to reset more than one password a day ... now, i built myself a small utility : bootable 128mb usb key .... on there i already put some utilities such as hdd diagnostics (for maxtor, seagate and wd most companies we use) i aslo have memtest on there, qt pro ... now , i still have a couple of utilities that do the job but they all run under linux and the key boots under dos ... and since im not a linux freak ... i need help putting the utility on the usb key .... most other programs on there run through or on a ramdisk ....

now, the main question.... would anybody happen to know another password reset tool that could be implemented to my key .. or how to make the linux utility work on it .....

Re: password reset tool

Hi Tobie,

I assume you are talking about resetting passwords on a standalone / workgroup environment? If so, why not make yourself an administrator of the machines in question. You could also give the users some advice on how to remember passwords and create a password reset disk if they need a reset without you being present.

Hope this helps.

I have no idea why you would need a "tool" to reset passwords. Windows itself, with a default installation, provides a multitude of "tools" that will enable you to do this. As Simon said, all you need is to be an Admin of the box. For Domain passwords, you need to have access to do it for a start, and the relevant tools are provided with a Server operating system.

If you're talking about a tool that will boot the box and reset passwords from the booted OS, take a look at the "forgot administrator password" forum for tricks and tips on how to get into a machine you are currently denied access to.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

And Tobie, please STOP using all those annoying....s. Use a fullstop (one . ) followed by one or 2 spaces and then a CAPITAL letter. Makes a post a lot easier to read and understand.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Originally posted by tobie.lepine View Post
          would anybody happen to know another password reset tool that could be implemented to my key .. or how to make the linux utility work on it

Have you given up on this issue?

Do try and answering some of the other responses.

Also, what LINUX utility or utilities are you referencing?

Have you considered a boot CD using something like BartPE?

This one looks promising (and the SW included looks legal):

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.