Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password lost. Need to recover.

Hi, this is my first problem of a numerous bunch

I'm on the ONLY account that is available at log-in (in regular boot). Using that account (it's an administer account as well), I can't do a number of things because (as a warning pop-up says) that I don't have the right administrative privileges to do what I need to do to fix my computer. Not only that, and administrator has to have administrative parts

Whenever I use safe boot (run --> msconfig --||> boot.ini --||> Safeboot.ini) I see another account pop-up named Administrator. That account is password protected and I don't know the password.

This is MY computer that is having that problem and I'm fully aware of the rules concerning password recovery.

I got this computer used and I didn't set any accounts (other than rename the one I'm using which is the only account available [other than the Administrator account on safe boot]). I somehow need to recover the password (to get it) or to reset the password settings for that account. Anyone who can help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance as well.

Re: Password lost. Need to recover.

I forgot to mention the following facts.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

Do to the lack of administrative privileges, I can't uninstall a few programs which slow down my computer and use up the computer resources quickly and making my computer run out of virtual memory quickly.
    Last edited by Bogey; 8th May 2007, 06:26. Reason: Adding some info...

Comment

Have you checked the solutions from Forgot Administrator password forum?
      Maybe this thread should be moved there...
      Reported to Mods for decision...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Sorry, I knew that there was that forum here since that was the reason I registered, but I couldn't find it, so I posted here. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogey View Post
          Sorry, I knew that there was that forum here since that was the reason I registered, but I couldn't find it, so I posted here. Sorry.
          So what exactly have you found / tried?

If the account you can access is in the Administrators group, you should be able to reset the password for Administrator.

Thus I am confused as to your situation as of this writing.
          Last edited by rvalstar; 10th May 2007, 12:58. Reason: rest ==> reset
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I'll try to be a little more clear right now.

1. I only have one account available at regular log-in.
            2. The one account I have is the administrator.
            3. The administrator account DOESN'T have a password.
            4. Even though I'm the administrator, I don't have some administrative privileges.
            5. Whenever I go to safe mode, I see another account titled "Administrator".
            6. That hidden account is password protected.
            7. I don't know the password of that hidden account titled "Administrator".

I think that the hidden account doesn't allow my account have certain administrative privileges.

Whenever I go to msconfig and try to change a setting it gives me a pop-up saying (Sorry, you don't have the right administrative privileges to perform this task) or something like that.

I also downloaded Kaspersky Lab since my computer is invaded by a world of virus and spyware and a couple colonies of Trojans, but now I can't uninstall Kaspersky Lab. When I go to Add/Remove and try to uninstall, halfway through the uninstallation I get a pop-up saying that I don't have the right administrative privileges and Kaspersky Lab doesn't uninstall.

The reason I'm trying to uninstall Kaspersky is that it slows down my computer, uses too much of my computer resources, and because of all those things, I quickly get a pop-up saying "Your computer is low on virtual memory, quit some running programs while the system is trying to increase the computer's virtual memory" something like that.

Thanks.

Comment

Have you tried creating an alternate admin account, AdminAlt or ???, making it an administrator, logging on to it, and seeing what you can do?

Would be interested in a screen shot from safe mode and normal showing the appearance / disappearance of this ghost administrator account.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I'll try to be a little more clear right now.

1. I only have one account available at regular log-in.
                This is the default. On the Welcome Screen, you don't see the local Administrator. Follow this info if you want to add it: http://www.petri.com/add_the_administrator's_account_to_the_welcome_scr een_in_xp_pro.htm
                2. The one account I have is the administrator.
                3. The administrator account DOESN'T have a password.
                4. Even though I'm the administrator, I don't have some administrative privileges.
                Reading this, I doubt that your user is part of the local Administrators group. Or someone has altered the rights that the Administrator has...
                5. Whenever I go to safe mode, I see another account titled "Administrator".
                6. That hidden account is password protected.
                7. I don't know the password of that hidden account titled "Administrator".
                This is the real problem, in my opinion. You have to find a way to change the password of the original Administrator. Did you look in this forum for similar solutions?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

I figured what it is even though I agree with sorinso. That hidden ghost account is the account that already comes with the computer. I checked the Accounts on Control Pannel and it says that it is a .NET Password protected account with certain encrypted files on it. It also gives me the option to remove the password but it also says that if I remove the password all of the compressed and encrypted files might be ruined and removed.

I agree with sorinso, my administrative privileges could have being meddled with. I got this computer used and not as new. I guess that could be it.

rvalstar. I'll try to do that. I'll post results here. Thanks for the tip.
                  Last edited by Bogey; 14th May 2007, 05:16. Reason: Fixing misspelled words.

Comment

Working...
                  X