Windows NT Server 4.0 password recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows NT Server 4.0 password recovery

hello all, im new to this site and was hoping you could help me, i recently purchased an old Dell PowerEdge 1300 server and it has windows nt server 4.0 service pack 6 i think and it has admin password which i do not know, now i have tryed every free tool i could find in order to reset the password but everytime i try to boot from the boot disks i downloaded it starts to boot and then stops nothing happens i cant type or move on all i can do is restart the computer, if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know and thanks in advance for any help/advice

Re: Windows NT Server 4.0 password recovery

NT 4.0

Why don't you just rebuild the server with Windows 2003?

Shourly there should be no reason why you need NT4?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

well for 1 i dont have the money for 2003, w i have never used nt before and im just wanting to check it out for myself before i switch to something else and also the server has a 500mhz P3 with 128mb of ram which i plan to upgrade in the near future

Comment

Well then, just use the tools mentioned on the welcome messages of this forum. Also, since this is NT 4, I suspect you could still use the alternate logon screensaver method mentioned in these articles.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

most of those tools i already tryed and they wouldnt fully boot for some reason, but i guess i can try that screensave thing but will i need another account cause i cant login to windows at all on the machine since i dont have the admin password

edit:i just read the other logon trick and im not able to install another copy of windows 2000 or nt as i dont have a copy of either
          Last edited by luke9511; 30th April 2007, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by luke9511 View Post
            well for 1 i dont have the money for 2003, w i have never used nt before and im just wanting to check it out for myself before i switch to something else and also the server has a 500mhz P3 with 128mb of ram which i plan to upgrade in the near future
            Then get an eval version of Win2k3 for crying out loud. Running on NT4 at this point is ludicrous.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
              Then get an eval version of Win2k3 for crying out loud. Running on NT4 at this point is ludicrous.
              i cant help it i like old things lol though this might be a little extreme and will 2003 run on a 500mhz P3 with 128 mb of ram?

Comment

i cant help it i like old things lol though this might be a little extreme and will 2003 run on a 500mhz P3 with 128 mb of ram?
                You should have asked that question before you acquird the hardware.

But the answer is yes.
                VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

i didnt know anything about the machine til i got it an opened it

Comment

You could look on Ebay for a memory upgrade. That would do it a bit of good. Beyond that, you're stuck with what you have. Good luck and have fun with it

Comment

thanks and thats what i plan on doing, im also going to get a 2nd 500mhz or a little lower P3 since it can have 2 of them and deff more memory

Comment

thanks and thats what i plan on doing, im also going to get a 2nd 500mhz or a little lower P3 since it can have 2 of them and deff more memory
                        If it can take a second processor I would strongly advise you to get one with EXACTLY the same part number as the existing one; if that is impossible get two others the same as each other and use those. Obviously make sure that whatever you buy is compatible with your mobo - Dell's support forums should be able to help you decide on a suitable processor.

Whatever you do, DO NOT install two processors which have even SLIGHTLY different spec; your machine will be almost so unstable it will be unusable.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

just let you all know that i finally got the password to be blank, took me a few trys but in the end it started working on its own, i dug around through some of my other computers and got the ram in the server upgraded to 448mb, still waiting to get the other cpu though but thanks for the help

p.s.im also downloading server 2003

Comment

p.s.im also downloading server 2003
                            I hope you ment the evaluation version
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                              I hope you ment the evaluation version
                              Nahh.. I sold him a working copy of mine...

Comment

Working...
                              X