X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacking priviledges as Admin?

XP Pro sp 2
    Workgroup is the default MShome
    I have my normal username Barakiel with administrator rights also.

Okay, not that those are out of the way early... I have been having trouble with my computer (duh) in the sense that I somehow lack administrator priviledges on my normal account which is administrator flagged. I tried to ctrl alt del twice and do the administrator and blank password login but this did not work, said it was not a username. I tried to create it, and said administrator already existed, however I could not view it in the control panel user editor.

Basically, this all stemmed from my trying to use a couple of programs. I enjoy a game called soldierfront, but when I tried to install it on THIS computer, my main one which I just got out of storage again, Gameguard is shut down. Yes, I know the trouble with the invasive gameguard software, but soldierfront is worth it. I tried to also run the FSBL blacklight rootkit eliminator, however that was blocked ALSO, showing the following error

In short: My account should be able to run whatever due to my admin priveledges, but cannot. I need to fix this, that or fix the admin account I never made. Could this be the work of malware?

Re: Lacking priviledges as Admin?

Does your built in administrator account still exist? Can you show us a screen shot of your local computer accounts?

Right click your START button. Do you see "Explore all users" and "Open all users"? If not, that is a tell tale sign you are not an administrator.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Yes I can in fact use the explore and open all users command. I enclosed a screenshot of my users under user accounts in control panel here

Hopefully this helps ascertain what's going on here.

Comment

Is Barakiel your built in renamed local administrator account? I thought you said earlier you were trying to log on as administrator with blank password?
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Right-click "My Computer". Select "Manage".* Click "Local Users and Groups". Click "Users". Post a screenshot of that.

*If "Manage" does not show up, click "Start...Run". Type "compmgmt.msc" and press return. Then proceed as before from after the asterisk.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Here you are, this should solve the aforementioned questions

I appreciate your efforts in helping me btw, hopefully we get to the bottom of this.

Comment

And yes, I was browsing through previous posts hoping to not have to post and waste your time on an already answered problem. One of the solutions was despite not having admin listed, you could try administrator with blank password. However, for me it said that the account did not exist. Although as you can see in the screenshot recently posted, there is in fact an Administrator-labeled account.

Comment

Originally posted by Caterus View Post
                I tried to ctrl alt del twice and do the administrator and blank password login but this did not work, said it was not a username. I tried to create it, and said administrator already existed, however I could not view it in the control panel user editor.
                Your screenshot looks good.

Let's go back to something you said early on for clarification purposes. You said you used CTRL ALT DEL to log on as administrator with a blank password, but the computer told you that user name does not exist.

Can you grab a screenshot of that error message or give us the real/full version of that message? Windows will not tell you that the username does not exist. This is a fundamental principle that would provide too much useful information to a hacker or intruder. Usually, the message goes something like "Unknown username or bad password". Is that in fact what you are seeing? Because then this could just boil down to a password issue for the administrator account.

I would reset the password on that administrator account and then try again with the new password.

Let's see where this gets us.

Jas

Comment

You were wise to catch attention at that, apparently I was hasty in reading the error message. The specific message is as follows~

"The system could not log you on, make sure your username and Doman are correct, then type your password again letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

Indeed there is a password set for my administrator account, however when I went to check this message I checked all I would have conceivably used. My floppy drive is broken and I am incapable of burning cds (Yes, I DO live in a cave)...Is there a way to reset my password minus a boot disk of sorts?

Comment

Can you motherboard boot from a USB Flash drive?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Caterus View Post
                      My floppy drive is broken and I am incapable of burning cds (Yes, I DO live in a cave)...Is there a way to reset my password minus a boot disk of sorts?
                      Well that certainly narrows down the options I'm sorry to say. Windows XP is not an appliance device that comes with a little reset button in the back. I'm afraid that would make it much less secure.

Have you tried to reset the Administrator password using your Barakiel account? We're running out of options quickly. It may be time to venture from the cave in order to forage for a floppy or CDROM burner.

Comment

Working...
                      X