Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 computers and no passwords =/

Hello, and thank you for reading this.
    I've read the articles 'bout changin the admin pass, but I can't seem to find any that would suit my situation.
    I'm in charge of the computers in a school, and we just got new set of laptops, with Windows XP Professional (v.2002 SP2) installed in them. The first set came with two preset user accounts, admin (meant for me) and student, meant for general users.

The problem is that, there is no premade accounts in these computers, except for the administrator, (I don't know wether that is some general admin created in the installation or intentionally created admin account), whos password I don't have. Due to that I can't logg on the computers to create the necessary accounts, and the can't get any contact on the person responsible for installing these OSs.

As you propably understand I don't have, and can't get, the original CDs for the OS and trying to remember doesn't really work now that the admin pass isn't the same as with the computers from the earlier set.. =/

Is there some general addmin pass that windows creates itself on professional XP installation, (I've only used Home at home so I don't have that much experience on professionals, extra abilities) or can I somehow manually (trough BIOS?) override the password phase.
    I could just sit here and hope to get in contact with the IT support person who installed the OS, but that might take a while now that the person is on holiday and apparently no one know where, but I suppose my employee wouldn't like that too much, and the students need these computers

Re: 14 computers and no passwords =/

Could you provide some infomation about the laptops, make model etc and what Regional Setting you are using? Ta.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well the laptops are Acer Travelmate 4230, Xp is a Finnish version, so the regional settings are European (more closely Finland).. But as I don't know that much 'bout XP region things I hope that was what you needed to know?

Comment

Have you tried the various methods listed here? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=2438
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If I understand correctly you have a lot of laptops, all installed in the same way, all without any other user other than the local administrator, to which you do not have the password.

Right?

If so, follow some or all of the reset password methods outlined in the forum welcome post, figure out ONE laptop's password and you've got all the laptops' passwords, or reset it for all the laptops one at a time, or wait till IT returns from their holiday.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes that was right, I suppose the pass would be the same for every laptop..

::runs off to test the resetting methods::

Comment

I have used this software a couple of times and found it quite good but will have to by it

[email protected] Password Changer Professional

Cant remember this site off hand but google it

Good luck

Marc

Comment

:sigh:

Tried all the methods and none of them worked, but I made contact with the IT support person. He told me that apparently the person (not him) who had installed the systems had made some flaw in the installation part and so the loggin cannot be accepted, so all these will be sent back for reinstallation.. Nice work from the IT team

Thanks for all the tips and advices tough, I'm sure they would've worked if the loggin would've been possible

Comment

Don't forget to ask them for something for wasting a lot of your time. Is always worth asking. Got $500 knocked off the price of a $2,200 colour laser because we got stuffed around with delivery. You never know what they will say. The worst they can do is give you nothing. If you are a good regular customer, who knows.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The UltimateBootCD4Windows would probably fit your needs as far as I can see. It allows you to boot from a cdrom and access XP as admin ... and allows you to replace and create User Accounts. Find it here http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm You create your own iso and burn to a cdrom .... I recently used it to boot to a XP system that would not boot after I installed a new video driver, and do a Restore. For a tech this is a good tool .... and free I might add. It also sets up your network so you can get online and retreive new drivers if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X