not too good with a computer but need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not too good with a computer but need help

Hi so i studyed as much as my eyes can take this forumn. Also searched on google this topic. I don't know if im allowed to ask this any more but I guess i will ask anyways. I have a HP computer and i had windows 95 then I installed Xp about 2 years ago. I'm not good with computers but I understand a little bit. My computer i useally always leave it on therefore i probably haven't logged off in a year. Stupid me downloaded a anti virus (not a fake one) and when it cheaked my disks and harddrives on a restart it logged me out and of course... i forgot my password.

I'v had my computer for years it has alot of important info on it so i dont want to loose everything. I was going to try to put the windows disk in it and to the repair option and press shift + f10 when it says installing devices, then i came to realize i have my bootable windows disk but i some how lost my product key. ( im not a scammer just a dumb blonde i guess)

so i will try to give you guys as much info as possible obviously to proof also that im not trying to get into a stolen computer jsut my computer but here ya go.

What operating system? Windows xp
    Domain or Workgroup? Um, Cable internet.
    Any other accounts with admin access? one account.

if anyone wants to contact me privetly on how to fix this my email is [email protected]
    if not write back on here

Re: not too good with a computer but need help

Try pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE twice instrad of clicking on your username
    Enter ADMINISTRATOR for the user and try nothing for the password -- you might get in then you can change your account password

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

well that the thing i restarted pressed f8 and then ran safe mode and saw the hidden adminstator account. i leaved the password blank and it said incorrect password so im thinking its the same as my main account since i only have one account?

its so weird it seems like such a small problem but sounds so hard to fix!

Comment

Very unlikely you have only the administrator account.
        When you installed XP, what might you have put in as a password (e.g. "password" or a significant name or date) You cannot lock out the administrator account so spend a little time guessing

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Very unlikely you have only the administrator account.
          When you installed XP, what might you have put in as a password (e.g. "password" or a significant name or date) You cannot lock out the administrator account so spend a little time guessing

Tom
          Thats the weird part, dont ever remember setting a adminstrator password!

only a password to my teresa login named one!

when i press f8 go in safe mood the login screen comes up says adminstrator with a guitar and teresa tanner witha huge pink flower (my login in name)

you think it might be admin or like a default one or something?

Comment

Try everything from nothing, variations on "password" and "admin"
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

You can try to reset the Administrator's password, make it empty by using the "offline password editor". And unlock it if the account is locked.

Download cd070409.zip to create a bootable CD
              or
              download bd050303.zip to create a bootable floppy (nb: NEVER use the bootable floppy on Windows Vista!!!).

Password editor explanation: http://www.petri.com/forgot_administ...password.htm#1

How to use?: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

\Rems
              Last edited by Rems; 12th April 2007, 17:45.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
              X