No announcement yet.

Administrator pwd NT server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator pwd NT server

Our office got rid of an old server (dual 200 processors). No one can remember the admin password. It has raid 5 striped SCSI drives installed. Is the any hope? I have tried the boot disk method, but I can't seem to get past the screen asking for the path. I have tried all the usual paths. This machine was the Domain controller on our network. I'm not up on scsi so I am trying to avoid reformatting. I thought this would be a simple, bulletproof machine to host our cub scout website on.

Re: Administrator pwd NT server

Before the password recover begins.
    Is it just a web site you want to put on this really old server?
    What sort of Internet connection do you have to enable the troup to access the web site?
    Do you have the driver disks and operating system incase you need to reinstall?
    Assuming NT4.0 Server, it is really not a very secure system to host a web site one. An excellent alternative for web hosting would be . You would have no server to look after, fix when something breaks and reboot after a power failure. My guess is that old server would chew through more power than a Lonex account would cost in a year. Not only that, you could also get some other troups to share the Lonex account and they could have their own site and reduce your hosting cost.

Don't want to put a damper on your idea, but an old machine like that is only going to cause you grief. Better to let the kids pull it apart and put it back together again and install the software (we can help you with that if you get stuck).

My thoughts only. Someone may have an alternate suggestion on running a site from this machine.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

You may be right, but this is getting personal now. At one time I was the administrator for this domain and I know what the password used to be. Now it is a battle between me and this 60lb outdated behemoth. I have kind of made this kind of thing a hobby. My connection is a10Mb cable connection and I have been hosting from my free web space using a redirect from a friends hosting account. We have just started the site and plan on paying for hosting next year if people use it.

Regarding the old DC, was it demoted?

If so, what in these forums or this site have you tried?
        Last edited by rvalstar; 7th April 2007, 22:52.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.