This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Administrator's password?

Did any of you try any of the existing methods? Any insights on how to get around forgetting a user's password without having a recovery backup?

Feel free to post your ideas.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Vista Administrator's password?

There is a program called Windows Key which is also part of Passware Kit from the folks at www.lostpassword.com. The link directly to the Windows Key program is http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm.

Although the URL seems to say it only supports XP, 2000, and NT, I have personally tested it with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate. It works perfectly to reset any local user account to a blank password. I used a USB key to do this, although you can use a CD as well. In addition, I believe with the Enterprise version of Windows Key, you can reset the DOMAIN admin password on any version of windows.

If anyone needs more info on this, feel free to post and I'll attempt to respond with any info I have.

UPDATE: You can use this ISO to burn a boot CD. Follow these instructions:

1. Download file from REMOVED BY MOD
    2. Burn to a CD using a CD burning tool such as Nero or Roxio or MagicISO
    3. Insert CD into drive and reboot.
    4. You may have to select an option in the BIOS to get the computer to boot from the CD.

The rest is relatively easy to figure out.

-Eli
    Last edited by rvalstar; 26th March 2007, 06:17. Reason: Let's not be uploading / linking to ISO's of non-freeware SW

Comment

I'll answer my own thread. It seems that the good old Offline NT Password & Registry Editor at http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd// can now reset Vista passwords.

Expect a full article sometimes next week.
      Last edited by biggles77; 18th July 2013, 19:46. Reason: Updated URL to his new site.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I personally use [email protected] Password Changer (http :// www. password-changer. com).

I downloaded got the software and used the floppy/usb boot disk creater supplied. I Wrote it to an old 128mb USB flash drive.

Booting up and clearing a password takes a minute or two works like a charm.
        Last edited by danielp; 28th December 2008, 08:12.

Comment

ERD Commander 2007 (winternal's was bought by microsoft and this nice software has been intergradted in MS technologies)
          Active Password Changer
          is my most favorite
          Last edited by cemarzu; 1st July 2008, 05:36. Reason: add more info

Comment

Trinity rescue disk has worked for me in the past and it is free.

http://trinityhome.org/Home/blog.php?front_id=15

It's a Linux boot disk that can re-set or blank a password

Comment

Hi,

I was suffering from this problem . My friend give me one url to solve it and its done . i give you please try it , http: // www. password-changer. com Best of luck...
              Last edited by danielp; 28th December 2008, 08:11.

Comment

Help in recovering local admin pwd on Win 2003 floppyless laptop

Dear Folks,

Iam new to this forum.

I had installed win 2003 and win XP in my laptop. quite sometime i haven't use my Win 2003. hence i forgotten my administrator password.

Kindly help me to recover my administrator password.

Looking to hear from you soon.

Thanks and regards
                Magesh s

Comment

Hi All,
                  This is how I recovered my Windows Vista Home Premium password last week. As soon as I turned on my computer I started tapping the F2 key which took me into the Bios settings. Once in I changed the Supervisor and User Password, saved, and exited. When the log on screen appeared, I entered my (old/new) password and I was so happy to see my desktop.
                  Regards,
                  IslandGalPal

Comment

Originally posted by IslandGalPal View Post
                    Hi All,
                    This is how I recovered my Windows Vista Home Premium password last week. As soon as I turned on my computer I started tapping the F2 key which took me into the Bios settings. Once in I changed the Supervisor and User Password, saved, and exited. When the log on screen appeared, I entered my (old/new) password and I was so happy to see my desktop.
                    Regards,
                    IslandGalPal
                    BIOS has NOTHING to do with WINDOWS passwords.
                    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well, that’s how I recovered my password. I do have Vista Home Premium. And for those who feel I made it up I took the time to extract pictures from the video I took a few minutes ago…using the same procedure I posted earlier. Click image for larger version

Name:	VID 00048 022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	463980

Click image for larger version

Name:	VID 00048 022 04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	463981

Comment

Originally posted by IslandGalPal View Post
                        Well, that’s how I recovered my password. I do have Vista Home Premium. And for those who feel I made it up I took the time to extract pictures from the video I took a few minutes ago…using the same procedure I posted earlier. [ATTACH]2984[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2985[/ATTACH]
                        Those are BIOS passwords though, not windows passwords.
                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

By resetting your administrator password you lose all the
                          saved passwords and other encrypted info you may have stored
                          on your PC. Think twice before resetting your administrator
                          password.

The are programs that can try and recover not reset
                          your administrator password. Try this:

LINK REMOVED BY MOD
                          Last edited by rvalstar; 1st April 2009, 04:53. Reason: Try and stay away from links to commercial software. Next time put a Google search that gets us a list of possible solutions

Comment

I have purchased Windows Password Recovery Tool . it not only supports XP, 2000, and NT, I have personally tested it with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate. It works perfectly to reset any local user account to a blank password. I Wrote it to an old 128mb USB flash drive do this. Booting up and clearing a password takes a minute or two works like a charm.

Note: This information is from: REMOVED BY MOD.
                            Last edited by danielp; 8th July 2009, 10:53. Reason: Spammer

Comment

Windows Password Recovery Tool worked perfectly. I get back into my pc now.
                              many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X