Server 2003 for Small Business Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 for Small Business Help

First of all, I'm a newbie when it comes to Servers, Server 2003, and AD, but I am in my second term of a LAN Management degree so I do have some knowledge on these subjects.

My brother in law had a network setup for him with 1 server that runs Server 2003 for Small Business and the guy that set it up is no longer around so he has me as his "network" guy now.

I was setting up a new account in AD, all went well, then I went to add the user to ACT! when I was prompted that there was an update available for ACT! I ran the update, started ACT! back up and there was an error so I decided to do a restart. Five minutes (probably less, I'm sort of impatient) or so later it still hadn't restarted so I manually shut it down by holding in the power button, which I think screwed something up. (Bash away)

I started the server back up and I can't login as the Administrator anymore. It will not accept the password that was working before. I have no clue whats wrong. I tried doing the "Directory Restore Mode" but can't login. I tried logging in as my brother in laws account too which has admin privledges but it won't let me log on with his account.

Everything else works like normal, but I just can't login as the Administrator anymore. I have no idea if it's a DC or just a domain, but I think its just a domain.

Is there some way to remotely reset the local admin password or something?

Please help!

Re: Server 2003 for Small Business Help

Just a quick one. A server running Exchange takes up to 15 minutes (or more) to shut down. Don't know if SBS takes that long or not, but if you are an impatient type, then may I suggest you change your degree now. This will result in a lesser number of incidents as you have described above.

I am posting this for all the IT Professionals who were as deafened as I was by the number of groans heard from around the world when they read the last sentence of paragraph 3.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I charge by the hour. Time is my friend
      Just a suggestion, press F8 on a reboot and select 'boot to last know good configuration' from the menu.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Yes, it does run exchange.. Not changing my degree sorry. I'll learn to be patient; maybe

I did try the Last Known Good Config. and it didn't work either. I'm thinking I screwed it up. Shoot, I will give someone $10 if they can guide me into fixing this problem. I don't want to reinstall everything. I've never done it.. Though it'd be a good learning experience. I know his employees will be pissed though ... Dang!

Comment

Originally posted by troloff View Post

My brother in law had a network setup for him with 1 server that runs Server 2003 for Small Business

I was setting up a new account in AD, all went well, then I went to add the user to ACT! when I was prompted that there was an update available for ACT! I ran the update, started ACT! back up and there was an error so I decided to do a restart. Five minutes (probably less, I'm sort of impatient) or so later it still hadn't restarted so I manually shut it down by holding in the power button, which I think screwed something up. (Bash away)

I started the server back up and I can't login as the Administrator anymore. It will not accept the password that was working before. I have no clue whats wrong. I tried doing the "Directory Restore Mode" but can't login. I tried logging in as my brother in laws account too which has admin privledges but it won't let me log on with his account.

Everything else works like normal, but I just can't login as the Administrator anymore. I have no idea if it's a DC or just a domain, but I think its just a domain.

Is there some way to remotely reset the local admin password or something?

Not gonna ask why you have a client app like ACT! installed on a server or is it now a true client/server architecture? Still I would have done the ACT! user admin from a client PC.

If it's SBS, then it's a DC as I understand it.

On a DC, I do not believe there is a local password anymore. It's all in AD.

As whom can you log in? And what privs do these account s have?

Here's the bit on resetting a 2003 DC Admin password:

http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm

Note it expects you to be able to create a service using instsrv and srvany.

Let me know if that gets you anywhere.

You may be able to do the same if you are able to write to the registry and put in manually the keys instsrv adds. Let me know if you can write to the registry (create a dummy key in some of the places noted in that article). If instsrv doesn't work and you can write to the registry, I may give it a try on a lab DC I have here and post the registry bits.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X