Changed Workgroup/Can't Login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed Workgroup/Can't Login

I have an old work laptop runnning windows 2000 that I was trying to setup on a home network by changing the domain to a workgroup.

After shutting down it starts back up and returns to the standard login screen, but won't accept the old username and password (I assume because it is trying to authenticate to the old domain) and I can't get in with what is normally the administration password.

I tried a password recovery program (login recovery) to attempt to get the administrator password with no success as the program didn't even run at startup.

I'm assuming when I changed the workgroup I should have done something else to modify or disable the startup username/password.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Changed Workgroup/Can't Login

On one hand I don't want to tell you that you should've created a local user with administrative privileges before you switched to a workgroup because your IT Dept. might not want you know how to do that... on the other hand if they didn't want you to do that then they shouldn't give you that ability.

Anyways, the easiest way to get access to the computer is to take it back to the IT dept. (or give them a call) and have them get you in.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Have a look through the Forgot password forum.

There are loads of helpful posts in there that will help you to change your local administrator password. There are also some tools that will help you retrieve the password.

Forgot Administrator Password Forum

Comment

Taking it back to your work IT and having them reset the local Administrator password would be the easiest. That's what you should have done prior to joining a workgroup.

Past that, there are other options. The LoginRecovery boot floppy AND CD did nothing for you? There are other opportunities out there. Some on the main site here:

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Since #1 didn't work, possibly #2 or #4 will. Haven't seen anyone try #3.

There are other approaches too. Mounting the drive as a slave on another machine (requires an adapter to convert the notebook sized connector) and extracting the hash to using BartPE with a password reset plugin to doing a repair install w/ Shift-F10 to set a new password to ...

Search this forum and read through some of the threads. See what works for you.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll try some of the other password recovery suggestions.

I've talked to IT, they suggested their "normal" administration passwords that should have been there provided they weren't changed at some point, but nothing has worked.

They suggested reloading the operating system as a last ditch approach. I have a windows 2000 cd I can use if I have to. I've been reading up on the repair install option.

Does that by itself get you back in without needing the existing password or am I missing something?

Comment

Remember the Shift-F10 bit:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305

For steps 11/12, you can also try a CMD box and enter "NET USER ADMINISTRATOR newpassword" then exit the CMD

EDIT: After the repair is complete and you are able to logon with your new password, don't forget to reapply the latest service pack then do all the windows / microsoft update bits.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by sandemj View Post
              They suggested reloading the operating system as a last ditch approach. I have a windows 2000 cd I can use if I have to. I've been reading up on the repair install option.
              IMO this is probably the best option for you.

This means you will have an OS installed with all your stuff on it and not the IT depts.

If you do go this route please rememebr and download all the drivers you need from the web first.

Comment

Let me say thanks again for the advice. Hoping to work on this tomorrow if I can get rid of this cold.

I couldn't get anywhere with shift F10. Not sure if that is windows XP only or if that works on 2000 as well.

Found this link that seems to walk you through step by step.

http://www.windows2000.windowsreinst...pair/index.htm

wullieb1, you mention downloading drivers that I'll need from the web first. What did you have in mind? If this step by step link is accurate looks like I just need to boot from CD and run a repair.

I assume that lets me get back in with local machine administrator rights.

Comment

The link you provide looks like a repair install but the later screen shots look like an upgrade install.

On a repair install, I did a Shift-F10 successfully on Windows 2000 Professional SP1 (level of the install CD) several months back.

A standard repair w/out Shift-F10 will do nothing for you as the SAM (password database) remains from the previous install -- In other words, no password change. I verified that too on the same Windows 2000 repair as I ended up having to redo it once my friend did something to take it out yet again.

I don't know why the Shift-F10 bit isn't popping up a CMD box unless you aren't trying it at the correct time:

Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10
                  EDIT: Don't worry too much if the progress bar isn't in the lower left side. When you see it and it has a little progress completed, hold down the left shift then press / release F10. A CMD box should appear.

Also, do you have a "normal" Windows 2000 Pro CD or some kind of OEM recovery version that may limit your capabilities?

If you'd like, take a few screen shots w/ a digital cam and post them here so we can see your progress / issues.

Alternately, follow wullieb1's post and reinstall the OS (you will need to reinstall all your apps).
                  Last edited by rvalstar; 18th March 2007, 08:32.
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

I've got Windows 2000 Pro CD that our IT dept. cut for me about a year ago after this laptop had a number of virus issues.

I'll try shift - F10 again today and see what happens.

I'd like to avoid a complete reinstall if I'm going to lose all of the applications.

I'll give you some play by play if I can make some progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X