Password has reset itself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password has reset itself

My son was trying to set up a wireless network on his laptop with xp pro as the operating system. Generally he uses the computor on his 6th form colleges domain.

He clicked the Network ID box in System and followed the wizard through - clicking on 'this computor is for home use and not part of a buisness'. When he restarted his computor his password no longer worked and the word 'domain' was also missing from that screen. Could you please suggest a solution? I have read the suggested posts on this topic, rightly or wrongly feel that this is slightly different.

It's not that he has forgotten his password, but some thing has changed. He is desperate because his college course work is on the laptop.
    Thanks
    Paul

Re: Password has reset itself

I take it his work is under a domain user account.

Sounds like he may have un-joined the domain and joined a workgroup. I'd have him take it back to the college and have them rejoin it to the domain.

If that doesn't work, post back and we'll see what to do next.

BTW, can he logon as the local Administrator account? The password will either be blank, one y'all set up, or one the college changed. If you can logon as Administrator, you can always take ownership of directories / files so work can be recovered.

NOTE: I wouldn't muck w/ taking ownership yet nor pounding numerous password attempts trying to logon Administrator (and disable it). I would go back to the college first.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
      I take it his work is under a domain user account.

Sounds like he may have un-joined the domain and joined a workgroup. I'd have him take it back to the college and have them rejoin it to the domain.

If that doesn't work, post back and we'll see what to do next.

BTW, can he logon as the local Administrator account? The password will either be blank, one y'all set up, or one the college changed. If you can logon as Administrator, you can always take ownership of directories / files so work can be recovered.

NOTE: I wouldn't muck w/ taking ownership yet nor pounding numerous password attempts trying to logon Administrator (and disable it). I would go back to the college first.
      Also, just for future reference, I would have asked the college for their advice in connecting to a home network - the "Network ID" box is nothing to do with wireless, and RValstar is right that you have un-joined the domain. The only people who can make this right are the IT support staff at college. Once that's fixed, ask them for their advice regarding getting the wireless working.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks guy's your advice that he has unjoined the domain makes sense - we will try the college IT support staff. Will keep you posted.
        Paul

Comment

Working...
        X