Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't log on to Win2k Pro.

Here's the problem in a nutshell;

I got a new laptop and wanted to set up a network between it and my desktop. So while I'm setting the desktop up, it tells me I need to reboot. I do so and all of a sudden it asks me for a password, which I've never needed before.

So now I'm stuck. I need on to my desktop for work, but I don't know any of the passwords for any of the accounts.

The real kicker is this: I think I may have gotten distracted in what I was doing and accidentally joined it to a domain.

So anyway, I've tried the Petter Nordahl password changer to no avail and the loginrecovery site hasn't gotten back to me even though it's been more than 48 hours, so does anybody here have any suggestions?

Re: Can't log on to Win2k Pro.

Check out the following articles:

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...r_password.htm

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=2438

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I've read both of those articles. I'm not really able to install a mirror OS onto another partition and so I think I need help figuring out how to get the computer off of a domain.

Comment

Is it windows XP / 2000?

If so, then right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Computer Name' tab and then hit the 'Change' button. Then select the 'Member Of' radio button and enter a workgroup name (Anything will do)

Do you actually have a domain at home?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          Is it windows XP / 2000?

If so, then right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Computer Name' tab and then hit the 'Change' button. Then select the 'Member Of' radio button and enter a workgroup name (Anything will do)

Do you actually have a domain at home?

Michael
          It's 2000 Pro. And I can't log on to it because I don't have the admin password. I've tried resetting it, but it doesn't seem to work.

And no, I don't have a domain at home, which makes me feel all the more stupid for setting it up on one even accidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. El Hefe View Post
            which makes me feel all the more stupid for setting it up on one even accidentally.
            You can't. If there is no domain at home you cannot join your PC to a non existing one as a trust relationship needs to be set-up for it to join.

Have you tried standard stuff like username 'Administrator' and no password. try a combination of a few different things like that

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

I've tried everything I can think of; all my usual passwords, blank, the word "blank", "password", "Administrator", all with no luck.

Is there another password recovery/resetting program that may work? I'm tempted to try the EBCD.

Comment

Did you try the http://www.loginrecovery.com/ bit (from the first link in Michael's post? If the do figure out your password, you can decide to wait 2 days or pay them for an immediate answer (make sure they are able to recover the password first).

Advantage of this is it writes nothing to your disk.
                Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                  Did you try the http://www.loginrecovery.com/ bit (from the first link in Michael's post? If the do figure out your password, you can decide to wait 2 days or pay them for an immediate answer (make sure they are able to recover the password first).

Advantage of this is it writes nothing to your disk.
                  It's been over 48 hours and I still haven't heard anything from them. I'm gonna try the EBCD and see if that password resetting program will work better than the Petter Nordahl one.

Edit: The EBCD worked perfectly. Everything is working 100% now. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
                  Last edited by Mr. El Hefe; 8th March 2007, 21:46.

Comment

Glad EBCD worked out. It seems this class of fix (EBCD and Peter Nordahl) have as many failures as successes.

You should go back in to LoginRecovery w/ your email you supplied and check on the status. Sometimes the emails don't come through.

EDIT: check here: http://www.loginrecovery.com/results.php
                    Last edited by rvalstar; 8th March 2007, 22:23.
                    Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

P.S., look at this thread and verify you did the LoginRecovery bit correctly:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=13611&page=3

should you ever be curious of this non-invasive approach.
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X