can logon to current admin account, but want to find out the password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can logon to current admin account, but want to find out the password

Hi all, I just got hired as a manager within my company and as a result i have to use their old laptop, well luckily for me the admin account was logged in and the former manager left on bad terms so I if this computer locks up or logs out im screwed, is there a way to just find out the current password for this admin since I'm logged in, cause I also believe this password he used was the same one to lock out some files and programs that I'll be needing also.

Thanks, and I did a search and found a post where I thought this method was mentioned but they helped the guy another way so it never said for sure, so sorry if this is discussed elsewhere.

Re: can logon to current admin account, but want to find out the password

If you're logged in as an admin, change the password. May want to make yourself an alternate admin account (AdminAlt?) in the Administrators group with a known password first.

EDIT: If you change the password on Administrator through Ctrl-Alt-Del\Change Password, it is my understanding any Windows encrypted files by Administrator will be accessable.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 7th March 2007, 20:17.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Just to confirm what Rick said;

IF you change password WHILE LOGGED IN using "ctrl-alt-del, change password", there are NO ILL EFFECTS on files etc. - you will retain access to all their encrypted stuff.

If you use a management tool to change ANOTHER ACCOUNT'S password, then you will lose access to their encrypted files, except via the Default Recovery Agent (if configured).

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If you CTRL+ALT+DEL and change password do you not have to supply the old password first.

I'm sure w2k populates the old password but not too sure about XP. I 've just tried it on my XP workstation and I have to supply the password.

onelessfinger - Remember to move your mouse around every once in a while incase the laptop locks itself.

Can you not just copy across all the info you need and then rebuild the laptop?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          If you CTRL+ALT+DEL and change password do you not have to supply the old password first.
          Excellent point.

Then the only way I know is the old "net user administrator newpassword" command from CMD.

Problem is it will nuke your EFS encrypted files UNLESS you export the cert, change the password, logoff, logon, import the cert.

Here's a nice article on exporting:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...vp/sv1206.mspx

I tried the following:

As local Administrator, I encrypted a directory per the instructions here:

http://www.petri.com/what's_efs.htm

Then I exported the EFS cert per the Technet article above.

Next I did a "net user administrator abc123", logged off, logged on, and verified I could not open the EFS encrypted files.

I followed the Technet article above to get the MMC all opened up and did a Right-click\All Tasks on Personal\Certificates and imported the PFX file (marked it for export; didn't mark it as strong)

Now I was able to decrypt the files. I encrypted another dir, changed the password back via "net user", and logged off / on one more time.

Even with my original password, I had to import the PFX again to open files in either encrypted directory. So doing a "net user" must gen a new cert???

Anyhow, the PFX file seems to work just fine. If you feel uncomfortable, I'd suggest experimenting on another machine that you are less concerned with.
          Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X