I've taken ownership of folders and still cannot access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've taken ownership of folders and still cannot access

As the title suggests, I have taken ownership of folders on the C: drive from my previous PC which s$%& itself and installed on a new one.
    I followed the directions to take ownership of the drive, and...no access.

I am running XP Pro. The drive in question had XP pro.
    I tried booting into safe mode to access, no go.

I know there are still files on the drive as I can access them via Knoppix. But due to NTFS issues, I can't write to the new drive, I'm having issues burning DVDs from Knoppix, and I only have 512mb usb sticks, so it'll take a long time to transfer that way. So, I can recover the data, but am wondering if there is a reason why I cannot access the files via the normal way.

Any suggestions?
    This is the first time to have such an issue, and I am now seeking to understand the cause so that if it happens again, I know how to fix it.
    Feed a man a fish...

Cheers all

Re: I've taken ownership of folders and still cannot access

I did a test.

Logged on as Rick (in Users only) and created a directory called "Security test". Filled it w/ a directory tree with a number of files.

Went into the Security tab, Advanced Button as Rick and unchecked the "Inherit..." button. Copied the permissions. Then I removed all but Rick w/ full permissions, checked "Replace..." and clicked Apply. Next I made sure Rick was the owner of the "Security test" directory, checked "Replace..." and clicked Apply.

So all objects in "Security test" are owned by User Rick and only Rick has permissions.

Now I log on as Administrator and am denied access to "Security test" -- as expected.

I go into the Security tab, Advanced Button, Ownership tab, set "Administrators as owner, check "Replace..." and Apply. I close out the Security tab and come back in -- Administrators have full permissions. Rick is no longer listed as having permission.

This doesn't work for you? Same should work on C:\
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

My administrator account is listed as having full permissions, but I am still unable to access the drive.

This is what is doing my head in.
      Any other suggestions?

Comment

For what it's worth can you do a screen shot?
        Can you not access the root or just files and folders under the root?

Make sure when you take ownership that you check the "Replace on subcontainers and objects" and then do the same for permissions.

EDIT - just for clarity's sake, you need permission to access the file or folder even when you're the owner. Being the owner allows you to change the permissions regardless of whether you have access or not.
        Last edited by JeremyW; 1st March 2007, 19:58.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

When I tried it on WXP SP2 I was surprised that taking ownership gave full access. I was expecting to have to grant permissions afterwards.

It's screen shot time, not only of the security dialog / sub-dialogs but the failure when trying to access.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I can access program files etc, but not My Documents

Comment

You may want to go to the location of "My Documents" and work your way to the profile root:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>

vs.

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents

(or whereever your "My Documents" is located physically) and take ownership there as this may be the issue -- down in a directory tree where you aren't permitted by the parent dir.

Otherwise, post some shots of what you're trying to do and how it fails.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

I am unable to access My Documents from the (ex) C:.
                As you can see from the attached, there is no access to anything but the non-My Documents files. (BTW, deleted user name for privacy purposes)

But, the files are definitely there as I can see them in Knoppix.

Any ideas?
                Attached Files

Comment

Have you checked to see if a Hidden or System attribute is on that directory?

In Windows Explorer, go to Tools\Folder Options\View tab\Advanced settings box:

Check "Show hidden files and folders"; scroll down; un-check "Hide protected operating system files"
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                    When I tried it on WXP SP2 I was surprised that taking ownership gave full access. I was expecting to have to grant permissions afterwards...
                    At first I thought this was because CREATOR OWNER had access, but you're right - if a folder has permissions for only JANE and is not owned by JOHN, and then JOHN takes ownership, JOHN ends up with permissions on the folder without you having to grant him such (but this only shows in the list after you close and reopen the sharing & security dialog).
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.
                    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Found it!

I had to uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" and now all of my documents are available inside a group folder "found.000".

I'm guessing that Windows did something to try to protect the folders before it crashed, and put them in this weird folder.

Thanks VERY much for all replies.
                      Now, how do I assign points for all of your help?

Comment

Click the Yin Yang next to the number 11, top right corner of your post.
                        Last edited by biggles77; 3rd March 2007, 00:07.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

"found.000" looks like the result of a "CHKDSK /F". Somehow the files became orphans in the crash?
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X