No announcement yet.

How Do I Reset My Administrator Password using "Create a password reset disk"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Reset My Administrator Password using "Create a password reset disk"

Hi spawn;

I want to reset the password on a w2k machine, if I do a reset disk thing to a floppie on my XP pro -- do you think it might work to help on my friends w2k PC???
    MTIA
    -Z

"" Amazing! ! You hang something in your closet for a
    while and it shrinks two sizes! ""

Re: How do i Reset my adminstrator password

Need to get off Win2k; upgrade.

Win2k is no longer in Microsoft mainstream support.

It cost us $40,000 just to get the DST patch for Win2k.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: How Do I Reset My Administrator Password using "Create a password reset disk"

Ziggie:

I separated this out as a new thread since the other was > 6 months old. Do look at the dates before jumping on.

For completeness, here is a link to the original thread:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=7928

Spawn, as referenced by Ziggie, suggests one could "Create a password reset disk"

Google on that and you find a wealth of info. Here's a good example link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305478

A couple of interesting bits:

The password reset disk cannot be used to reset the password on another computer.

The password reset disk that you create can only be used with the computer it was created on. For example, if you have two Windows XP-based computers that have the same user names and passwords, a password reset disk that you create on the first computer cannot be used to reset the password on the second computer.

The password reset disk contains sensitive information.

Other users may be able to use the password reset disk to gain access to your computer. For this reason, store this disk in a safe and secure location.
      Also it appears you may be able to use a "limited account":

Use a limited account

If you logged on to the computer by using a limited account, follow these steps to create a password reset disk for your user account:
      So do give it a try and let us know how it goes.
      Last edited by rvalstar; 20th February 2007, 23:44.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X