Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot view files after using built in restore

HI

I restored my PC using the built in restore function which appears during boot-up, it is stated that you can restore and keep all your own files etc. I have a folder named my old disk structure, I can access the majority of files but I cannot get into My Documents, I get the following message: "unable to open, Access denied", I don't remember encrypting my old files or anything does anybody have a suggestion to enable me to gain access again? I'm using XP sp2, and my PC is an Advent T11 using advents built in recovery. Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Thanks

Re: Cannot view files after using built in restore

I'm not familiar w/ this built-in "restore" you speak of.

If you are logging in as a member of Administrators, try taking ownership of the directories / files and see if that fixes your prob.

If you are not familiar with this, post back and I'll include a couple of screen shots.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Rick, this is a non destructive recovery. I have heard of this first from Symantec Ghost. Was specifically supposed to save My Documents in Documents and Settings. I am assuming this is how the Advent recovery works (or by similar method).

Just d and seems there are more than I thought using this recovery option. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Sorry to go George but it seemed relevant.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks guys - dou you think I should post this somewhere ele on the forum - maybe it's not in the right catagory??

Comment

Most of the regulars look at new posts so it will get some attention.

Have you tried to take ownership of the directory / files while logged in as Administrator?

Update us on the particulars post-restore:
          Logged on as?
          Directories / Files you cannot access? Original owner as you can recall?
          Problems taking ownership then applying privs?
          And so on.
          Since this does not appear to be a "lost password" issue, this thread may warrant a move. I just don't have a strong opinion on it.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X