Can't get the Adminstrator Password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get the Adminstrator Password

So here's the deal I'm having some issues with retrieving my administrator password. I was reinstalling Fedora on my secondary harddrive and I think I messed up installing the bootloader Grub. A lot of the suggestions say that I should use Windows recovery to run fix boot and fixmbr and reinstall fedora properly. However in order to run the windows recovery i need the administrator password. I don't remember ever setting one up, but i tried everything I could think of. I tried using both the Windows Password recovery tool, and the one by Peter Nordahl, however neither of these gave me any success. The Windows Password recovery didn't get any hashes, and Nordahl's tool didn't reset the administrator password. Any suggestions?? Please

System:
    AMD FX 4600
    4gig mem
    4 sata HD
    dual boot fedora and XP

Re: Can't get the Adminstrator Password

Hard to say what state your Windows install is in given all you have tried.

Normally, I would suggest you do a complete "Repair Install" (not "repair console") as I take it you were happily running from your flangust account which, I also take it, had admin rights.

Here's the link for a traditional "repair install":

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here's one w/ the Shift-F10 trick to change your administrator password:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305

But for you, you may want to try an NTLDR boot floppy (do you have a floppy drive?).

Here are a few links that may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595
    http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Once you get in, I'd change the administrator password first thing. Then you can do your "repair console" bit successfully.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 12th February 2007, 13:57.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

thanks fo the reply. Turns out I wasn't paying enough attention to the screen on Peter Nordahl's utilty. So I got the Administrator password thing under control, and I ran fixboot and fixmbr, so windows boots, kinda... I had run the windows recory off the boot cd, and at first it woulf get stuck at 34 minutes remaining. now i get two different errors, one pops up too fast but it says something about the security administrator, and the other one says insufficient resourses to complete the API. I'm getting really frustrated with this. i think I'm just gonna backup everything from the drive using fedora and then reinstall windows.

Comment

If you have anything invested in that Windows install (configuration time, software installs, etc.) do try the "repair install" first as it is pretty good at fixing things and your config should be as it was once completed.

Do remember to reapply the latest SP and patches afterwards.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thx Much revalstar !!

In all my messing for yrs, you've just showed me that cool password access trick.

Again, thanks.
          MTIA
          -Z

"" Amazing! ! You hang something in your closet for a
          while and it shrinks two sizes! ""

Comment

Originally posted by ziggie View Post
            In all my messing for yrs, you've just showed me that cool password access trick.
            Which trick? The Shift-F10 Repair Install? Been out there since W2K. And it requires a repair install so it should not be taken lightly.
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X