Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to repair registry with XP boot disc

Alright, here's my computer's problem:

All of my desktop shortcuts are broken, example "Mozilla Firefox.lnk". I try opening them and an error saying this pops up:

"Windows cannot open this file:
    File: *file's name here*.lnk
    To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it..."

The rest is just giving me options to either search the web for the appropriate program or browse my computer for the program.

I have an idea what is causing this, when I go Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types, EXE is not in the list. It goes from EXC to FAD. I tried adding EXE, it appears there but won't fix the problem. (I restart my computer and EXE is missing again)

I managed to open regedit.exe by finding the file in the WINDOWS folder and right clicking > Run As...(going to Start > Run.. > regedit.exe gives me an error)

I tried importing a .reg file that was supposed to fix my problem but an error pops up saying some keys are currently being used by other programs or processes.

I do have a restore point saved from a few months ago but I'm not so sure importing it would not harm my PC more.

I have a Windows XP boot disc, I've tried the repair option but I need the administrator's password. I have no clue what it is and I have tried a blank answer. Is there a way I can reset the admin's password with my PC in it's current state? (by the way, the problem also exists in safe mode)

Re: Trying to repair registry with XP boot disc

If the system could not run "EXE" files, it would not start at all... and EXE does not appear in MY list of filetypes either; because the method for opening files of this type is hard-coded into the deepest layer of the OS.

If you look for an EXE file on your PC, and double click it, does it run?

It just sounds to me like all your shortcuts are broken and need replacing with new ones. You can buy them from most good computer stores...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      If the system could not run "EXE" files, it would not start at all... and EXE does not appear in MY list of filetypes either; because the method for opening files of this type is hard-coded into the deepest layer of the OS.

If you look for an EXE file on your PC, and double click it, does it run?

It just sounds to me like all your shortcuts are broken and need replacing with new ones. You can buy them from most good computer stores...
      Nope double clicking on exe files on my computer doesn't work.

Comment

Wow, sounds like you have a mess on your hands. I'm guessing you have tried the "repair console" vs. a "repair install"

I take it you know your password so you're not trying to recover / reset your password (in the admin group, I take it) vs. the Administrator account.

In that case, here is the de facto "repair install" recipe:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Are you certain you are virus and adware / malware free?

Also, I'm not certain a repair install will remedy this problem. Your profile may be broken. You may want to try creating a new admin user and logging in as that user. Do the problems remain or disappear?

Please backup your important data before proceeding.

Post back w/ progress, concerns, questions.

Best of luck.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions

The repair didn't work (couldn't go through with it, something to do with partitions), and I can't make a new account using User Accounts from the control panel. In the process of running a virus scan now.
          Last edited by InsaneHanz; 11th February 2007, 00:06.

Comment

I scanned with AntiVir and Ad-Ware, nothing serious was found. I can't figure out how to open up Windows Defender though.

Comment

If you have Windows Defender installed, you can mosty likely find the EXE in C:\Program Files\Windows Defender. My shortcut shows MSASCui.exe

If Ad-aware didn't find anything "bad", I doubt Defender will find anything more.

So the repair didn't work. Will need more info on the partition bit. Take a snap w/ your digital camera and post the JPG if you try again.

Regarding creating another account, are you an admin on the box? Right click on the Start button. Do you see an "Open All Users" item in the menu or just an "Open" ???
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I get an Open All Users option when I right click on start. I'll be right back with those pics.

Comment

I think I know the problem, the boot disc I have is for Windows XP Professional and I have Windows XP Home. I'll try to get the right version tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneHanz View Post
                    I think I know the problem, the boot disc I have is for Windows XP Professional and I have Windows XP Home. I'll try to get the right version tomorrow.
                    So, would you have licenses for BOTH of those products?
                    Last edited by rvalstar; 12th February 2007, 18:12. Reason: mod cut out the image

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneHanz View Post
                      I have not tried mixing boot disc / installed versions so I always get the "R"epair option. Hoping that's the case for you too.

Digital cameras makes great screen capture devices in these cases, no? I first came across this running memtest86 (some kind of stripped UNIX boot disk) and having some errors. I kept seeing these screen shots from others on the web and it dawned on my they were photos. Many companies don't like you having a camera on site. I can usually make a deal w/ security to come and take a picture of my BSOD, etc.
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                        So, would you have licenses for BOTH of those products?
                        My computer is about 6 years old, and within those years I have misplaced my Windows XP boot disc. I'm sure it is somewhere around my house, though.

Comment

Ahh - LOL - I know the feeling. However I have learned from long and bitter experience with several Micro$oft OS's to keep my OS install disk REALLY close at hand in case of emergencies. Generally I find that stuffed down the front of my pants is close enough but sometimes a little closer is better

Tom

Comment

I found my XP boot disc. I've decided to back up some important files and format my harddrive. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Comment

I found my XP boot disc. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
                              What, you DID find it down the front of your pants?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X